Riptide

5/14 First Charter (Report)

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Today was the first trip of the season for Riptide Charters.  Jim and Cooper are always eager to get out first and get on the early fish.  I checked the tides and decided we could do a nice leisurely 8am launch and time the dropping morning tide perfectly.    It didn't take long to find plenty of surface  fish rolling on tiny yoty herring.  The fish were gulp feeding and not targeting the individules so getting their attention took some worth.  We tried a few lures and a few different retrieves and finally figured them out pretty well.  

The guys had fish on spin and fly from 18-32".  Hogy Pro Tails, Rapala X-Raps worked best on the spinning gear.  Small herring flies did the damage on the fly rods.  

In addition to the stripers we landed a nice variety of BIG bottom fish just letting the Hogy stuff sink below the bass.  (All were released as Sea Bass is currently closed) 

Striper,,,,,,,It's whats for dinner.

Overall great first charter!!!

20180514_145427-02.jpeg

20180514_115017-01.jpeg

20180514_093706-01.jpeg

20180514_093247-01.jpeg

20180514_091804-01.jpeg

20180514_091708-01.jpeg

20180514_082227-01.jpeg

20180514_080657-01.jpeg

20180514_080500-01.jpeg

Are those bite marks on the tail of the second striper shown above?  Lots of variety, looks like a great start.  That is a big plastic for that scup, though he does look big.   

11 mins ago, notime said:

Are those bite marks on the tail of the second striper shown above?  Lots of variety, looks like a great start.  That is a big plastic for that scup, though he does look big.   

He looked beat up but not bitten.  The scup was a total accident.   The sounder lit up near the bottom so Cooper and I dropped what we had.  A few BSB and that scup were the result.  Ambitious for a scup to be sure.

love the scup on the pro tail lol....the bass I found today were doing the same thing just rolling slowly on the surface gulp feeding, ive experienced this before last season when the fish first show up....i did will with 7 inch hogy original weightless slow retrieve on the surface. good to see the numbers of fish & also got some huge scup on olive hogy epoxy jig.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

6 hours ago, Riptide said:

Today was the first trip of the season for Riptide Charters.  Jim and Cooper are always eager to get out first and get on the early fish.  I checked the tides and decided we could do a nice leisurely 8am launch and time the dropping morning tide perfectly.    It didn't take long to find plenty of surface  fish rolling on tiny yoty herring.  The fish were gulp feeding and not targeting the individules so getting their attention took some worth.  We tried a few lures and a few different retrieves and finally figured them out pretty well.  

The guys had fish on spin and fly from 18-32".  Hogy Pro Tails, Rapala X-Raps worked best on the spinning gear.  Small herring flies did the damage on the fly rods.  

In addition to the stripers we landed a nice variety of BIG bottom fish just letting the Hogy stuff sink below the bass.  (All were released as Sea Bass is currently closed) 

Striper,,,,,,,It's whats for dinner.

Overall great first charter!!!

20180514_145427-02.jpeg

20180514_115017-01.jpeg

20180514_093706-01.jpeg

20180514_093247-01.jpeg

20180514_091804-01.jpeg

20180514_091708-01.jpeg

20180514_082227-01.jpeg

20180514_080657-01.jpeg

20180514_080500-01.jpeg

thanks for the bait tip:):)

small bait.jpeg

what's up with the guy with the fly rod in his mouth, he needs a glamour shot of something in his mouth every time he takes a snap? we get it bro, you caught a fish with a fly rod.

25 mins ago, iputmyhoursin said:

what's up with the guy with the fly rod in his mouth, he needs a glamour shot of something in his mouth every time he takes a snap? we get it bro, you caught a fish with a fly rod.

haha I agree, always thought it was the weirdest thing when guys eat their rods. plus kinda gross. why not just hold it? either in your hands then pick up the fish, on your forearm/elbow, or stick it under your arm pit. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Wicked-Fly said:

haha I agree, always thought it was the weirdest thing when guys eat their rods. plus kinda gross. why not just hold it? either in your hands then pick up the fish, on your forearm/elbow, or stick it under your arm pit. 

4 hours ago, iputmyhoursin said:

I don't disagree, but many of the fly guys like to do it.  As long as I get a good picture of the fish for them I'm pretty open to any post they choose within reason.  Their charter, their memory.  But that's not one of my favorite poses.

I posed Cooper with his first striper.  I prefer  the rod on the lap or across the gunnels and 2 hands on the fish. ;)

Edited by Riptide

It is tough to hold fish with both hands and hold the fly rod without looking a bit awkward.  I'm not saying biting rod looks normal, but... 

I don't usually bite the rod, but I'm sure I have.  As for being gross, we are fisherman.  Gross goes with the territory.  Try storing store bought green crabs in your fridge.  One wiff when you open the door and biting cork seems like nothing.  Besides cork tastes pretty good, like chicken.  Or should I say sea robin. 

Any idea how big that scup is?  Kinda sad we are all commenting on the scup, but I'm easily impressed.   Plus I'm going fishing early next week in Buzz. Bay with my young son and scup are always good to have around as a plan B.   Anyone know if they are in upper BB yet? 

2 hours ago, notime said:

It is tough to hold fish with both hands and hold the fly rod without looking a bit awkward. 

Super tough. 

241C52E7-EC4A-4C7A-93D8-D7D0631EB116.jpeg