Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tmeng

Daiwa Reels with Mag Seal.

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever had to service a Daiwa Spinning Reel with Mag Seal?  I was suggested for normal use and cleaning just to rinse off the reel with water, and if anything else for the reel to feel different or not as smooth I would need to send it to Daiwa for servicing.

I have serviced them using a mag seal alternative magnetic oil made for audio speakers. The mag seal is more of a marketing hype. The magnetic oil breaks down and its a total mess to work with. Its easy to add to much oil. 

If your reel is still smooth and quiet just wash it off. Add some grease to the side openings where the handle and cap screw on. When it gets noisy from a rusted bearing just replace it with a good SS bearing.

I haven't taken apart a reel with mag seal; always thought that the mag seal bearing were sealed and enclosed.  I didn't know we can service them as normal, and use alternative mag oil.  Thanks for the info guys.  Handi is there a particular brand of mag oil you use?

If your reel has the mag seal at the pinion only which most do. Unless you have one of the super expensive ones.

You can carefully lift the pinion gear, cover, and seal, without disturbing it. They oil is a nasty brown color and will be a tiny bit around the pinion sleeve. 

Thank you for the video.  Now I just have to purchase the ferrofluid, the one I read about online is the MF Sealed Magnetic fluid oil made in Korea.

Appreciate the responses!  When i started researching this as many seems to have gone down this path, some had mentioned the quality of the oil is not the same.  I will definately search online to purchase the Ferrotec.

Thank you