Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul E

1st Beaver of the Season

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Went out with a buddy Friday night. Ended up with a mixed bag: 1 keeper (not kept), a beaver and 4 micros. My buddy got 3 micros but not beaver. Started a little after 11:00.  At midnight, just as I was thinking I was underdressed, I had my first hit of the season (on my first day fishing).  The fish fought very well for its size - let’s say 28”. Another hours went by before the smalls started hitting. Somewhere about that time, as my lure (Tsunami Swim Shad 4”) was almost back in, I dark mass slowly moved upstream in front of me. By the time this registered in my noggin it had made contact with my line. There were several minutes of splashing and wondering because, after all, what could it be.  Eventually, the line was free and the lure, fortunately covered in weed, made it ashore. The object continued upstream at its slow slow pace and we were able to see that it was, in fact, a beaver. 

Strange because we were at, and even a little past, the river’s mouth so the water was salt - plus there’s little sweet water flowing into this tidal river. Lost? Exploring?  Either way - I think we now, finally know why there are no trees growing on our beaches. Castor canadensis sal aqua. 

42 mins ago, wasy said:

u sure it wasn't an otter?

Yes. I know the local otter. We saw the beaver close-up. Maybe all those tail-slaps people report aren’t stripers after all. 

44 mins ago, wasy said:

u sure it wasn't an otter?

Maybe it was a “fake” beaver.