scoobydoo

Shocked.....but not complaining.

17 posts in this topic

So far in 2018.....I've fished 50 days in the fresh stuff.

Including opening day trout season....and places that get stocked in season (as opposed to just fishing my secluded spots)

I've seen 15 people in all those trips.  (1 being my father 5 were opening day)

And I haven't even seen so much as a boot print anywhere beyond 100' of a parking spot.

I've seen more guys in one stretch of sod bank in one overnight bayshore trip than i have all season in FW.

Mind Blown!!!

That's something I didn't really give much thought to. Outside of making a trip to see opening of opening day of trout in RI. I haven't seen but two guys in a boat open water fishing. 

I have been noticing this trend for years.  Very few kids.  I have yet to see another flyfisherman on ~6 outings in Narragansett Bay.   Drove by a 14 and younger pond on opening day in RI.  Less than 1/2 the crowd of 10-20 years back.  There has been noticeably less people fishing for trout Alaska also.  I do not go to lodges here.  I fish very accessible rivers.   

20 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

So far in 2018.....I've fished 50 days in the fresh stuff.

Including opening day trout season....and places that get stocked in season (as opposed to just fishing my secluded spots)

I've seen 15 people in all those trips.  (1 being my father 5 were opening day)

And I haven't even seen so much as a boot print anywhere beyond 100' of a parking spot.

I've seen more guys in one stretch of sod bank in one overnight bayshore trip than i have all season in FW.

Mind Blown!!!

Not to say you don't have history in fw but in my experience with trout fishing, even when "crowded" people tend to crowd in the places where they stock. To be clear I mean within 50 yards of where the buckets are dropped. After opening day the crowds taper off a lot and conspiracies of streams not being stocked. You also end up with a lot of truck chasers.

Do you think the water was colder so far this year than in years past?

On 5/15/2018 at 8:23 AM, Sheisty said:

Not to say you don't have history in fw but in my experience with trout fishing, even when "crowded" people tend to crowd in the places where they stock. To be clear I mean within 50 yards of where the buckets are dropped. After opening day the crowds taper off a lot and conspiracies of streams not being stocked. You also end up with a lot of truck chasers.

Do you think the water was colder so far this year than in years past?

I live 5 to 15 minutes from some of the hottest FW spots...Spruce Run round valley....Ken lockwood gorge (was there during the lightning the other day)  Raritan river Duke island park is 5 mins away.  the north branch is almost my back yard.   SO bouncing from river to river at 9am just checking around (not really worried to much about catching 12" trout and being on the water at the whistle :)  )  was shocking to see nobody out..

I was at the new shop on 22 hanging with the owner who's a fishing buddy and friend for the past decade....lots of people in the store getting the essentials...but nobody on the water at the normal crowded spots....usually 30 cars on rt 22 and the milltown road spot......NADA......1

Doesn't surprise me at all.  When we were growing up, neighborhood kids hunted bait all week when they did their chores.  Dug worms, trapped minnows, caught grasshoppers, catalpa worms and such for weekend fishing.  Now what are the younger people doing?  Video games and playing with their phones.

Some guy local to me has been spot burning on NextDoor. So this spot has been stacked with anglers on the spot from the bank but also people in boats and kayaks piling up on the spot.

So I drive over to the other side and fish a dock. Not a single person even though it's a spot.

The old guys come out early to fish spots then are gone by 9 or 10 am. So there's that.

6 hours ago, TheKnot said:

I missed you up north vic the trout made you work this year . I am heading back up in june let me know where your at if you can make it

Please do... I missed the early may week. I wasnt paying attention to the time.... Expamding my business had taken up all my spare time :mad:

On 5/17/2018 at 5:34 PM, scoobydoo said:

I live 5 to 15 minutes from some of the hottest FW spots...Spruce Run round valley....Ken lockwood gorge (was there during the lightning the other day)  Raritan river Duke island park is 5 mins away.  the north branch is almost my back yard.   SO bouncing from river to river at 9am just checking around (not really worried to much about catching 12" trout and being on the water at the whistle :)  )  was shocking to see nobody out..

I was at the new shop on 22 hanging with the owner who's a fishing buddy and friend for the past decade....lots of people in the store getting the essentials...but nobody on the water at the normal crowded spots....usually 30 cars on rt 22 and the milltown road spot......NADA......1

I haven't done too much fw this year so its hard to say. But I remember what I mentioned before to be common reasons why people don't come out. Opening day, the following 1 or 2 weeks, then stocking days were the only days folks would start showing up.

But the fact that you live in the area, in passing on a daily basis you see whats going on, so I have to defer to your judgement on less people being around than years past.