2Stroke

Conventional reel help

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I currently have a st. Croix mojo musky with a cheap abu garcia ambassadeur reel on it. The reel is okay but I want something better, it doesn't seem up to the task of catching anything bigger than a fluke at this point. I have been looking into saltwater conventional reels because the setup will be used from the kayak and the boat occasionally, so I want a good reel that will hold up well. I was originally thinking of an avet, but it doesn't seem like a good reel to throw plugs for musky with, which led me to the penn fathom and squall. Are these good reels for casting lures and also using for fluke and other kayak fish? I've never really gotten into saltwater conventionals so I'm kind of in the dark.

Thanks!

10 mins ago, CrashHard23 said:

Have you looked into large profile baitcasters such as Daiwa Lexa or Shimano Tranx? 

I have used a large daiwa that a friend has and I wasnt a fan, i prefer the round style instead of the lowprofile.

6 hours ago, 2Stroke said:

Hey everyone, I currently have a st. Croix mojo musky with a cheap abu garcia ambassadeur reel on it. The reel is okay but I want something better, it doesn't seem up to the task of catching anything bigger than a fluke at this point. I have been looking into saltwater conventional reels because the setup will be used from the kayak and the boat occasionally, so I want a good reel that will hold up well. I was originally thinking of an avet, but it doesn't seem like a good reel to throw plugs for musky with, which led me to the penn fathom and squall. Are these good reels for casting lures and also using for fluke and other kayak fish? I've never really gotten into saltwater conventionals so I'm kind of in the dark.

Thanks!

what abu do you have?

HH

The fathom is an excellent reel and will work from the kayak, beach, or boat. I have both the 12 and 15. They are both great.   You may also want to checkmout the Diawa Saltist BG20 h or 30h.

I understand that you want a round reel, but if you intend on casting lures, I would personally recommend going with a large low profile reel for what you intend to do with the rod and reel.

My choice is the Okuma Komodo SS reels, I use the 471SS's myself. They not only work really well for lure fishing, but they are also excellent for bottom fishing. 

But, if you really want to stick with a round reel and you don't mind thumb leveling while lure fishing, the Fathoms in size 12 or 15 would be solid choices.

5 hours ago, Catch This said:

The fathom is an excellent reel and will work from the kayak, beach, or boat. I have both the 12 and 15. They are both great.   You may also want to checkmout the Diawa Saltist BG20 h or 30h.

This is sound advice.

If your going to be primarily using it to cast lures or jigs especially from a boat consider a level wind.  Have been fishing a penn 965 for the past 18 years on a St. Croix tidemaster.  Think a penn 965 or 975 would pair up well with your mojo musky rod.  If your going to be using the reel to surf fish and throw bait.  Consider the fathom series.  Got a 15 and love it.