jkrock

What is the ideal population for the United States?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

What is the ideal population for the United States, and why?  I think we are currently at 350 million.   Do we need more, less,  or are we at a good number?

I don’t think the total number is anywhere near as important as their reason to live here. If they want to be productive citizens, support our way of life and assimilate into it, be a giver not a taker, work, prosper, and pay taxes, and willing to defend its constitutional rights against all who challenge them both foreign and domestic then the total number living here is less important. 

Need more working people.  With unemployment below 4%, we could use another 3-4 million people.

Funny thing is, take away immigration, the population replacement rate is below that of 2.1%.  Otherwise, our population and economy are going to shrink like Italy's.

1 min ago, MizikeyofNYC said:

Need more working people "with the right skills and education".        With unemployment below 4%, we could use another 3-4 million people.

Funny thing is, take away immigration, the population replacement rate is below that of 2.1%.  Otherwise, our population and economy are going to shrink like Italy's.

General Kelly was spot on

1 hour ago, Harf said:

Slightly off topic but this explains who drove it 

2 mins ago, MizikeyofNYC said:

Need more working people.  With unemployment below 4%, we could use another 3-4 million people.

You need to watch this video, especially the projected year 2100 population.

The planet, and our country are finite. Sometime there are just going to bee too many of us.

It might be better to taper things off, instead of it happening all at once.

Posted (edited) · Report post

25 mins ago, Jim DE said:

I don’t think the total number is anywhere near as important as their reason to live here. If they want to be productive citizens, support our way of life and assimilate into it, be a giver not a taker, work, prosper, and pay taxes, and willing to defend its constitutional rights against all who challenge them both foreign and domestic then the total number living here is less important. 

I still think we should have a number.  Something where we can support ourselves.  Where we aren't burning through our natural resources, food and water, etc faster than they can be replenished.  I don't think anyone wants to see us like India or China.

We are growing now.  75% by immigration, 25% by birth.  Our population is sustainable now via births.  Someone must think we need to import more people.  What number are we shooting for?

Edited by jkrock

7 mins ago, MizikeyofNYC said:

I get what you are saying, but I'm not sure we should set our immigration or population goals based upon how much **** we can make or sell.