cashews121

Eagle Claw Hooks

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

My experience with Eagle Claw was only freshwater many years ago..so as far as the salt goes I have no idea if they are any good. Does anyone have experience with the 635 O’Shaughnessy Jig Hook? Do they hold up to larger size blues and Stripers?  Someone I met has jigheads made with them he wants to sell..don’t want to make a mistake.

Edited by cashews121

Might be adequate for most applications for average size fish.  I think you'll find that most of the large volume jig builders use Mustad's.

7 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

Switch to a Mustad 34184 long shank or 34185 short shank and never look back...

not a matter of switching,the jig heads are already poured..Eagle Claw hook was used..

Went 12 for 12 using decoys....switched to trokars which i liked last year but noticed some dropped fish with lighter tackle.

Then dropped 6 fish in a row all quality fish...switched to owners and decoys.....all stayed pinned

(this was freshwater)

I like the Eagle claw l119 mags i think.   But that's the only one I use

Eagle Claw 635's are just OK.  As stated Mustad 34184 or 34185 are much better.  However there is a problem coming that most guys aren't aware of yet.  Mustad is discontinuing some critical sizes of the 34185 hook.  5/0, 7/0 and 8/0 will no longer be made so whatever exists is all there is.  This is giving me big trouble as those are my most commonly used sizes.  They are as strong as you can get in a short shank jig hook.  I'm searching for an acceptable substitute.  I think I know what it will be but as expected it's more expensive.

Like others said that 635 is an OK hook, best used for schoolie size fish.  I’ve bent them & broken a few, and still use some other Eagle Claw hooks, but when I need a stout, strong hook for pouring that will hold large fish it’s the Mustad hooks mentioned that I use. 

12 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Mustad is discontinuing some critical sizes of the 34185 hook.  5/0, 7/0 and 8/0

Sounds like Dan you should corner the market and invest and buy all you can find. Then pour some jigs and charge double or triple for the rare breed! hahahaha!

13 hours ago, cashews121 said:

not a matter of switching,the jig heads are already poured..Eagle Claw hook was used..

Drop the jigs back in the melting pot and re-pour with new mustad hooks? I do this with my rejects all the time without issue and for the most part the hooks come out clean. The eagle claws will work fine, just don't plan on wrenching any fish, keep the drag light and don't plan on landing any trophies.  

Since the introduction of super braid line a lot of guys like to crank the drag all the way down and horse a fish in.  The next weakest part of the tackle equation is the hook.  So now they think the hooks are no good.  There's only so much strength that can be designed into the hook.  

Sounds like Dan you should corner the market and invest and buy all you can find. Then pour some jigs and charge double or triple for the rare breed! hahahaha!

A couple of the sizes will still be available for about a year from my sources.  They carry that much inventory.  However one size is completely out and no more coming.  Creates a big hole in my manufacturing capabilities.