pclassic

Major Line Tangle When Livebaiting

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Need help please.

Here's what's happening. I just started live baiting for striper using live herring.

When I slowly reel my bait back in, every time my braid is wrapped into a total nightmare around my bobber and I just don't know how to prevent this.

Here's how I'm set up.

Starting with the hook I use a 3 foot section of 20 lb mono and that goes to a barrel swivel which is under the float. I then tie 20 lb braid to the other side of the barrel swivel and clip the braid into the release part of the float. From there I run the braid up the float and to my reel.

My float is one of those that will release from the braid when you set the hook so you only fight the fish and not the float.

For some reason which I can't figure out, the braid from above the float always tangle into a mess around the float.

I know the bait swimming around may have something to do with this, but I'm thinking there has to be something I'm doing wrong.

Does anybody know what's going on because I don't.

Thanks for any help.

Lose the bobber

Control the herring by taking in and letting out line (you're using a conventional right ?)

Have never found the need to use a bobber when livelining especially from a boat. Conventional bait cast  works best but can still use a spinner.  Yoyo your rod tip up and down that can help determine where your bait is in shallow water 

settings.  I use pre- tied rigs, barrel swivel - mono leader-hook.  Never had line wrapping problems, however I just use conventional reel spooled with mono. Braid complicates everything but great for distance casting with spinners.

Live bait, bobber and braid do not work well together. Why are you using braid in shallow water? Your setup sounds like it would still get tangled even with mono. If this still happens with mono, lose the bobber like others have stated. Sounds complicated for live lining a herring. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ditch the bobber.....if your dead set on using one use a slip bobber with a bobber stop you can reel through the guides and onto the reel if necessary. The great thing about those rigs is you can set the depth you want your bait at by adjusting the stop further up the line and using the appropriate amount of lead to keep it down which is your other problem...add some lead and your bait will stop tying knots in your mainline.

search member door gunner on here for his float rig....any you will be set

Edited by bigfish4me

Maybe I should've given more info... When I am live baiting I am either fishing from a bridge or on a river bank which is pretty high up from the water. Also, I am at the same time casting artificials with my other rod which is pretty much the reason I am using a float to live bait so free lining in my case isn't the way to go because I'd have no idea where my bait is since I am not holding my live bait rod.

I guess I'm going to try from the hook I'll use mono to a ball bearing swivel, then mono from the swivel to the bobber release clip up through the bobber and from the top of the bobber I'll have about 3 feet more of mono tied to my braid. I'm guessing the 3 feet of mono from the top of my bobber to the braid will keep the braid far enough away from the bobber that it might eliminate the line twist.