flyangler

Willie Brown to Fellow Dems: It's Time to Stop Bashing Trump

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

In Politico, the ormer two time mayor of San Fran has a warning for his fellow Dems: Trump is more popular than Dems want to admit

His advice? Move the focus from Trump to matters that the political middle care about, or else.....

Will they heed his warning? 

“It’s time for the Democrats to stop bashing President Trump.

It’s not going to be easy, given his policies and personality. It might even mean checking into a 12-step program. But setting a winning agenda is like maneuvering an aircraft carrier. It takes time to change course. And if they want to be on target for the November midterm elections, the Democrats need to start changing course now.

Like it or not, a significant number of Americans are actually happy these days. They are making money. They feel safe, and they agree with with the president’s protectionist trade policies, his call for more American jobs, even his immigration stance. The jobs growth reports, the North Korea summit and the steady economy are beating out the Stormy Daniels scandal and the Robert Mueller investigation in Middle America, hands down. So you are not going to win back the House by making it all about him.

Rather than stoking the base by attacking Trump, Democrats need to come up with a platform that addresses the average voters’ hopes and concerns. Not just the needs of underdogs or whatever cause happens to be the media flavor of the week.

Democrats need to look like the adults, not like another pack of screaming kids on the playground.”

Edited by tomkaz

5 mins ago, 55555s said:

Jimmy kimmel read this and approves (or at least listens)

Funny how some are getting this, albeit a limited few.

3 hours ago, tomkaz said:

Funny how some are getting this, albeit a limited few.

I am paranoid enough to think a memo from on high was sent.

It seems the message got out, but the Democrat aircraft carrier takes time to turn around.

It has to use prop speed differential because their rudder is broken.

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, tomkaz said:

In Politico, the ormer two time mayor of San Fran has a warning for his fellow Dems: Trump is more popular than Dems want to admit

His advice? Move the focus from Trump to matters that the political middle care about, or else.....

“It’s time for the Democrats to stop bashing President Trump.

It’s not going to be easy, given his policies and personality. It might even mean checking into a 12-step program. But setting a winning agenda is like maneuvering an aircraft carrier. It takes time to change course. And if they want to be on target for the November midterm elections, the Democrats need to start changing course now.

Like it or not, a significant number of Americans are actually happy these days. They are making money. They feel safe, and they agree with with the president’s protectionist trade policies, his call for more American jobs, even his immigration stance. The jobs growth reports, the North Korea summit and the steady economy are beating out the Stormy Daniels scandal and the Robert Mueller investigation in Middle America, hands down. So you are not going to win back the House by making it all about him.

Rather than stoking the base by attacking Trump, Democrats need to come up with a platform that addresses the average voters’ hopes and concerns. Not just the needs of underdogs or whatever cause happens to be the media flavor of the week.

Democrats need to look like the adults, not like another pack of screaming kids on the playground.”

Below are the last two sentences of the article by Willie Brown that was almost posted in its entirety.  I wonder why after posting 95% of the article the last two lines were omitted. :headscratch:

Musta been a mistake, I guess. :laugh:

And they need to start now.

Besides, when it comes to bashing Trump, Donald is doing just fine on his own.

Edited by moonbat

Just now, moonbat said:

Here are the last two sentences of the article by Willie Brown that was almost posted in its entirety.  I wonder why after posting 95% of the article the last two lines were omitted. :headscratch:

Uh, because it was my post and I felt like omitting them. Pretty simple. 

As for the lines themselves, those don’t in any way negate all that appeared above that. In fact, when I first read them I felt they were a CYA so Brown would not get blasted by his own people. 

So why so perplexed, are you saying that Brown suggesting Trump was harmful to himself, which we can agree upon, changes Brown’s message (and Kimmel and Kristof) that the Dems need to change their tune?

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

Uh, because it was my post and I felt like omitting them. Pretty simple. 

As for the lines themselves, those don’t in any way negate all that appeared above that. In fact, when I first read them I felt they were a CYA so Brown would not get blasted by his own people. 

So why so perplexed, are you saying that Brown suggesting Trump was harmful to himself, which we can agree upon, changes Brown’s message (and Kimmel and Kristof) that the Dems need to change their tune?

LOL.  No they don't nullify and what he is saying is what I have been saying to my apoplectic friends.

Why did you feel like omitting them?  Is two additional sentences too long?  It certainly isn't easier or less time consuming to omit that part.

By the way, there is this piece of punctuation.  It is called an ellipsis.  It is used to denote missing text that the writer/poster thinks is irrelevant but signals the reader in case he should wish to read the whole thing.

4 hours ago, moonbat said:

LOL.  No they don't nullify and what he is saying is what I have been saying to my apoplectic friends.

Why did you feel like omitting them?  Is two additional sentences too long?  It certainly isn't easier or less time consuming to omit that part.

By the way, there is this piece of punctuation.  It is called an ellipsis.  It is used to denote missing text that the writer/poster thinks is irrelevant but signals the reader in case he should wish to read the whole thing.

Wow! Questioning my motives and a grammar lesson. 

I use the ellipsis, but between text passages, not at end in that context. When I use ... to end something, it is to leave the concept hanging for the reader to fill in. Probably not proper application but that’s me. 

19 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Wow! Questioning my motives and a grammar lesson. 

I use the ellipsis, but between text passages, not at end in that context. When I use ... to end something, it is to leave the concept hanging for the reader to fill in. Probably not proper application but that’s me. 

Still haven't answered why you felt like omitting.  :laugh:

31 mins ago, moonbat said:

Still haven't answered why you felt like omitting.  :laugh:

Why are you pressing this? I don’t know. Maybe there was an embedded ad there which made the break a difficult cut and paste. Beyond that, how do those two sentences mean anything? 

The "start now" only bolsters my point as it puts urgency in Brown's warning. Would I have intentionally robbed my argument of that emphasis? 

And, as I said above, Brown's closing sentence was a prophylactic mea culpa to Libs reading that. Didn’t advance nor hurt the balance of his comments. 

23 hours ago, tomkaz said:

It’s time for the Democrats to stop bashing President Trump.

Like it or not, a significant number of Americans are actually happy these days. They are making money. They feel safe, and they agree with with the president’s protectionist trade policies, his call for more American jobs, even his immigration stance.

The jobs growth reports, the North Korea summit and the steady economy are beating out the Stormy Daniels scandal and the Robert Mueller investigation in Middle America, hands down.

So you are not going to win back the House by making it all about him.

Democrats need to look like the adults, not like another pack of screaming kids on the playground.

And they need to start now.

Besides, when it comes to bashing Trump, Donald is doing just fine on his own.

FIFY