Crabalanche

Flounder?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I catch a dozen or so a year as by-catch fly fishing for bass.  Always a nice surprise. Release them all. 

Been awhile sense I've posted on this site.. I know it's a old post but I figured I'd give a update on my finding last couple years. They're here for sure in decent number I just don't see people targeting them correctly structure/bait/size. I picked up spear fishing and have found them all over southern Maine. Rocky/sandy substrate mostly sitting on or in between rocks with lots of sea moss/weed so instantly easy to snag where they hide. Also find most of them at slack. The biggest one I've spear is 14" and you couldn't fit a penny in this mouth is your tried hook size has to be tiny. Also there stomach I find are mostly full of broken shell fish and tiny bugs.

PXL_20220620_203809727.PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20220620_140517_643.jpg

Posted (edited)

awesome thread, been wanting to go for flounder forever, nice to know they exist

Edited by adam42

On 5/20/2018 at 10:04 AM, Theflyguy said:

cape Elizabeth area

I grew up there.. but can't picture where there would be skinny water like that. If you don't want to spot burn, feel free to PM. I'm just curious from 1,000 miles away

Occasionally in some coves in Casco Bay I'll see osprey catching multiple flounder in a foot of water on sandy bottom.

Places where nobody has tried for flounder in 30 years.

They're out there.

On 7/7/2022 at 2:24 AM, cobblestone said:

Been awhile sense I've posted on this site.. I know it's a old post but I figured I'd give a update on my finding last couple years. They're here for sure in decent number I just don't see people targeting them correctly structure/bait/size. I picked up spear fishing and have found them all over southern Maine. Rocky/sandy substrate mostly sitting on or in between rocks with lots of sea moss/weed so instantly easy to snag where they hide. Also find most of them at slack. The biggest one I've spear is 14" and you couldn't fit a penny in this mouth is your tried hook size has to be tiny. Also there stomach I find are mostly full of broken shell fish and tiny bugs.

PXL_20220620_203809727.PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20220620_140517_643.jpg

Very cool. How do you tell they're legal when spearfishing? Seems like a pretty small margin of error if the biggest you've speared is 14" (I haven't caught anything bigger than that myself, recently). 

3 hours ago, adam42 said:

flounder hit flies?

Caught one on a mackerel tree years ago...

7 hours ago, adam42 said:

flounder hit flies?

Crab patterns on bottom