Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyS

Tilt / Trim Weak Battery Question

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Folks could use some advice and I’ll try to explain my battery set up as best as I can.  Today I hit the tilt/trim switch on my Yamaha F40 and got no response.

I have a Deka Marine Master cranking battery, as well as a Deka Seamate AGM battery for my trolling motor.  The batteries are connected together through a ProMite 5/5 Double Bank On-Board Marine Battery Charger.  Basically there is no switch, it’s just a connection so the AGM battery will charge when the outboard is running.  I also have a plug coming off the unit, so when I haven’t used the boat for a while I can plug it in and trickle charge the battery from home.

So I definitely know I have a battery issue, as I’ve had the Marine Battery Charger plugged in for and hour and the Trim / Tilt is once again working.  Unfortunately since the boat dealership did all the wiring 5 years ago (original batteries) and my Skiff set up is so tight - I’ve never had a good handle on the battery wiring.  Again, it’s a pretty basic set up that requires no manual intervention.  I’m thinking the trim / tilt is likely powered by the main marine cranking battery.  If that is correct, perhaps it’s time for me to simply replace the cranking battery?  I’m honestly not sure when I plug in to trickle charge the battery, does that give a boost to the cranking battery, the AGM battery, or both?  As mentioned, what I do know is after I plugged in for a trickle charge, the tilt trim started working again.

Was planning to fish at first light tomorrow, but think I’ll bag that now.  Don’t want to get on the water if the main cranking battery needs to be replaced.  Any advice would be appreciated, and yes I’ll admit I’m showing my ignorance on all this.  I’ve learned a ton about my boat, maintenance on the outboard, etc in 5 years - but will admit the battery connections do not come easy to me.

40 mins ago, Kml said:

If your batteries are 5 years old they need to be replaced. 

Likely the case especially for the cranking battery.  My AGM battery doesn’t get a ton of use so my hope is that doesn’t need to get replaced.  Any thoughts on my general set up?  I wish I got a better walkthrough of the battery connections after boat purchase but it didn’t - so I’m Leaning this as I go.  

Clean all the terminals first on your battery and also the leads to the trim; tilt. to make sure your get a good ground and contact.  Good thing to do every years at the start of the season. 

You need more info in this post. Is this a tiller setup or a remote with top or side mount. 

Does the tilt trim switch work on the motor ? Work on Controls? 

Two stroke or four stroke engine?  If four stroke they are picky on voltage and will not work right if under 12v.

You say both battery are tied together with no zone switch .if so if one battery goes  low it will draw from the good battery and kill that one to. 

You need to test the batteries on a load tested to see if the battery are good.

I am guessing that the charger is only a 5 amp charger.  The trim unit probably draws more than 5 amps, which means that you were only pulling from what little charge you had in the battery after 1 hour of trickle charging.  Give it a couple more hours on the charger and then see how she reacts.  If it trims up and down normally you should be good to go.  You can also try jumper cables between the two batteries for more power if needed.

I would guess that there is an isolator for you trolling motor battery so that it charges, but, the engine does not draw from it.

sam

Assuming your mixing Wet cell and AGM batteries. It's not recomended

When charging, the AGM will reach full charge before the wet cell. This means that the charge system will do one of two things. It will keep charging until the wet cell is fully charged and may over-charge the AGM or it will switch off when the AGM is fully charged which means the wet cell is only partially charged.

The wet cell will try to draw power from the AGM and this will reduce the life of both batteries because of under-charging then draining them will naturally damage both batteries but will kill the wet cell quickly.

On 5/14/2018 at 7:45 AM, ccb said:

Clean all the terminals first on your battery and also the leads to the trim; tilt. to make sure your get a good ground and contact.  Good thing to do every years at the start of the season. 

And tighten with a wrench ow pliers NOT your hand. I scrape off any residue with a knife.

Happened to me, although they looked good, inside the black insulation

the cable was corroded as hell and drew to much voltage down and at first thought starter was bad ,replaced starter   and still would not turn over ,got mad at thing and just laid on key, Nothing,  said hell with it and started to walk away looked back and seen little smoke rising , jumped back in and rubber near motor melting  WTF, peeled back black rubber and more than foot up line was corroded very bad  ,made up some new cables and problem went away so if wiring is few years old  take good look at cable ends that are exposed

Hap

I will throw in another helpful idea which I now have for peace of mind , get a lithium ion jumper battery.  It is the size of 2 packs of cigarettes weighs less than a lb and will start any outboard 200HP AND DOWN.  60 bucks on Amazon and I never leave home without it.  It started a V6 TDI diesel in my car,when it went dead.

As far as your batteries, 5yrs is the outside for having a battery perform well. Each battery should be set up to your chargers system on it's own lead,so that each battery is getting what it needs when plugged in.  I do agree don't mix AGM and lead batteries to the same system.  Use a deep cycle for the trolling motor and a starting battery for motor.lead acids are finr ,I get 5 yrs out of mine and change them out at that  time.  

Wanted to follow up and thank everyone for the responses.  I wound up replacing the primary (cranking) battery.  My AGM battery (used for my trolling motor) still tested out as good.  As such and since I've had no problems with it (and honestly don't use it heavily), I decided to keep using it for at least another season.  When I do replace it, I'll take the advice and replace it with a deep cycle (non AGM) battery.  With that said, the current set up has served me well so figured why change it until I must.  Thanks again.