heyblue34

Is it Just Me?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Every year beginning April and just before our striped friends from down south arrive I fish the local kettle ponds for large mouth bass. Last year in particular was very good as I landed several fat slobs. This year I am either getting skunked or catching very small fish. Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing this?

 

Two factors that I have thought about are higher water levels in the ponds, and the cold stretch in April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will agree it was a slow start for both bass and trout. After ice out in February and March I was actually having some luck with largemouth. Then the bite seemed to die throughout most of the spring. Finally yesterday I got back on these fish. Took a friends son fishing and the we got 6 nice bass dunking shiners.

Guys I have talked to said the trout bite was slow because of the cool spring and higher water levels. I believe this was the problem with the bass bite as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its been SLOOOOWWWWWW, im struggling. caught a 5.9 in early march, havent broken 3lbs since.
that was my first and only over 3lbs this year. since open water season began in early february, its been a tough bite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yea it sure did. that was the biggest problem. doesn help  that on facebook, i kept seeing people post pictures of giants which made me angrier that i was doing so bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

April and early May were a little slower than usual. It wasn't until that warm stretch two weeks ago, that included a couple of 80+ degree days,  that the fishing, especially smallies fishing, started to get going.

Edited by zak-striper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every year when we have cooler-than-usual springs we get the same questions/complaints/observations.

 

What it boils down to is that cold weather will slow the spring spawn & migrations. That just means you will have to work harder to get the fish.

SO....unless you fully expect fish to jump in your boat or at your feet at shore on every cast, it turns out to be "just one of those" seasons.

 

I think of it as a chance to fine-tune my tackle and presentations.

 

Luckily for me the pickerel and perch have been active (post-spawn for both).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been extremely slow for me too. Like sandbar said, early March was actually much better. I was slamming bass and pickerel left and right and then it slowed right down. Even at my BEST pond the past few weeks I couldn't buy a bite!! What the hell could it be? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ll be the odd ball.  I feel this slow start , especially north of the Cape has to do with food and yes temp. I have reports of Bass off Stellwagon andc he dumping grounds 8-16 miles off Boston. Then you have buzz bay bass...

 

From what I heard all these bass are on 2”-3” sea herring.  I pedaled my kayak from Winthrop to Nahant and it was 2” sea herring for as far as you can see with Mackerel feeding on the surface.  As soon as they come in closer it wont be hard to see the bass.   If there is plenty of sea herrring and reasonable water temps?  There will be no rush.  

Edited by The Riddler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I’ll be the odd ball.  I feel this slow start , especially north of the Cape has to do with food and yes temp. I have reports of Bass off Stellwagon andc he dumping grounds 8-16 miles off Boston. Then you have buzz bay bass...

 

From what I heard all these bass are on 2”-3” sea herring.  I pedaled my kayak from Winthrop to Nahant and it was 2” sea herring for as far as you can see with Mackerel feeding on the surface.  As soon as they come in closer it wont be hard to see the bass.   If there is plenty of sea herrring and reasonable water temps?  There will be no rush.  

Odd ball...yes, we're talking about large mouth bass. However, I am officially on board for stripers. Good morning bite yesterday and breaking fish in the afternoon on something small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, heyblue34 said:

Odd ball...yes, we're talking about large mouth bass. However, I am officially on board for stripers. Good morning bite yesterday and breaking fish in the afternoon on something small.

1 hour ago, heyblue34 said:

Odd ball...yes, we're talking about large mouth bass. However, I am officially on board for stripers. Good morning bite yesterday and breaking fish in the afternoon on something small.

I should have hit quote. I was responding to fisherman Tim's post.

On 5/14/2018 at 0:37 PM, FishermanTim said:

Every year when we have cooler-than-usual springs we get the same questions/complaints/observations.

 

What it boils down to is that cold weather will slow the spring spawn & migrations. That just means you will have to work harder to get the fish.

SO....unless you fully expect fish to jump in your boat or at your feet at shore on every cast, it turns out to be "just one of those" seasons.

 

I think of it as a chance to fine-tune my tackle and presentations.

 

Luckily for me the pickerel and perch have been active (post-spawn for both).  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll agree that the  freshwater scene got off to a slow start -  both stocked trout and resident fish....but it's broken open as far as I'm concerned. This includes the species already spoken for as well as shad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.