NJTramcar

Coffee grinder and settings

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I found a nice coffee at Costco but it comes in bean form.

I am looking for a good, inexpensive coffee grinder but also, what settings do you use for a peculator and a Keurig? 

Is a good rule of thumb coarser for drip and finer for Keurig?

I have read the Burr grinding is best for consistency but am confused, it seems all different devices are different and nobody seems to have the same thought process.

Absolutely, no question, get a burr grinder !!

"grinders" with spinning blades are only good for grinding spices and dried chili peppers - terrible for coffee as the bits are all different sizes from way too big to dust

Burr grinder grinds to a specific size

I think it's coarse for a French press, coarse-medium for perk, medium to finer for drip, very fine for espresso.  Roughly speaking.  

LOL....I remember years ago when A&P had those big red coffee grinders at the bottom of the belt of each register. They had this huge switch to change the grind specs with each notch labeled for drip, perc, etc. Let's see if I can find a picture..........

I remember those.  My Grandmother took me shopping a few times and even though as a kid I hated coffee I liked how it smelled being ground.

Those machines were too old for a Keurig setting. How should those grinds be, medium, fine, ?

Any recommendations on a grinder?

Sorry, can't help there, as I only use a drip type one cup maker and buy the stuff in the can already ground. :o

Hopefully someone else will have some suggestions for you. :)

I use this burr grinder and have it adjusted to fine. The grinder will screw right onto a standard mason jar and has that lid that keeps the beans from sloshing out while my wife cranks this thing. Then I use these filters and the melto filter holder that sits over my 16+ oz. mug. I found the brown filters don't have a taste like the white ones. I fill the filter and filter with hot water and let it rinse the filter, then add the grinds and hot water. Good cup of coffee. I used to make coffee in a percolator until the wife quit drinking it. I think the grounds I used were more corse for perked but the grinder adjusts for any size grind and locks down to hold the setting.

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

A burr grinder is the way to go as Sudsy said.  A burr grinder works by setting two sets of teeth a certain distance apart.  Grinds can only fall through once they are that size.  You get a much more uniform grind than with a blade "grinder" and a more uniform grind means a more even extraction.

I use a percolator.  When I grind, I put mine of coarse and I use a filter because fines do find their way into the mix.  I use the grinder at the store.  Coffee that is ground will oxidize faster (more surface area) but as long as you keep it in a cool dry place and use it within a reasonable amount of time, you should be fine. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

If have a espresso machine you may know the importance of a well furnished grinder. Not all the coffee grinders grind coffee beans equally as you wanted. Some grinders coffee grinder machine grind coffee into so many different particals and it's effect on your coffee taste bit better. Now a day in market two types of grinder available one is Burr and another is blade. Burr grinder is better perform to create equal particals compare than blade grinder.

Edited by TimS
spammer

On 5/13/2018 at 0:04 PM, Steve in Mass said:

Here ya go..........

5af862104b057_APCoffee.jpg.236f33956aa28d676c9919be3d616e2e.jpg

5af862114a2c4_APCoffee2.jpg.a061ef74f53e373059a95b326cbf5aab.jpg

I own one of those, except mine is painted brown. It was from a coffee house. Grinds beautiful coffee.

If u don't have the counter space for a industrial coffee grind...

I had a Krups burr grinder. Around $60. That did really well. Ran for over 5 years. Ground nicely. But once they go, thats it. 

Now have an Barataza Encore. $120.  Grinds beautifully. Serviceable,  has a sacrificial collar that will strip out if something like a rock gets in there and won't break the driveshafts. 

Also use a Hario Skelton hand grinder. Posted above.  Awesome grinder. But slow. Only use it when camping or if the power is out.  

Krups+Electric+Burr+Coffee+Grinder.jpg

711jsKbAS2L._AC_SY879_.jpg