jjdbike

Easy Chicken on BGE ideas please?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Have some folks over in a couple weekends. Wanna use my generic BGE. I hope to get one more season out of it, as it’s cracking and falling appart. That was a classic example of being penny wise & dollor fullish. I should have spent the extra few hundred & gotten the name brand w/ the warrentee. 

I’ll do a “london Broil” or two the way I’ve had success several times previously: Stab the heck out of it deeply, 3 day marinte in bourbon, black pepper, garlic, etc... low & slow w/ lots of smoke on BGE till almost rare internally, remove, fully rest, fire up the heat, sear outside to create bark & bring up to rare. I’ll slice it thin, make some “tiger sauce”, slice some sweet onion paper thin, have some fresh buns & swiss cheese slices for my version of “Baltimore Pit Beef” sandwhiches.

I’d like to have some chicken too. I’d like it to be realtively quick & easy. I’m open to slow cook in oven and finishing on grill for a little smoke & sear.

I’ve gotta say, I picked up a whole rotissery roasted chicken at the Acme last week. It was juicey & delicious. I know it was because it was roasted whole w/ skin, bones etc. I’d kind of like to catpure that same juicy whole chicken flavor, but still have it be easy to serve w/ minimal prep. That eliminates the whole chicken as I don’t want to have to process whole chickens while I’m trying to entertain guests. I’d just do drums & thighs but I can imagine their will be a couple women who will want breast meat (I find it hard to do breast pices & not have them be dry & bland).

Any & all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance!!

JD

P.S., So happy it’s cook out season again!

JD, I know you didn't want to do a whole chicken, BUT, I would either do a bearcan or spatchcock chicken....Much juicier and more flavorful....If not that, how about a small cornish hen....One for each guest...Let them do the work of "processing"... ;)  ....

Butch

Sirloin steak marinate in this... no need to stab like a london broil and will blow the LB away

mix all together and marinate in ziplock for 3hrs or overnight

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons dried basil
1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
1 teaspoon dried minced garlic (optional)

Cook indirect at 350.

EASY marinade-Goya Mojo Criollo.  Ive tried to make home made Mojo a half dozen times and its never come out better than Goya.

8 hours. OK, cut chickens in half to cook.  Cook.

Then to serve just whack them in two partway up the breast.  You have a white meat side and a mostly dark meat side, and it looks cool

My take on "spatchcock" cut for chicken-its cool, but if you need the space, cutting them in half makes it easier to fit a few on the grate.

On 5/16/2018 at 1:46 PM, Little said:

Cook indirect at 350.

EASY marinade-Goya Mojo Criollo.  Ive tried to make home made Mojo a half dozen times and its never come out better than Goya.

8 hours. OK, cut chickens in half to cook.  Cook.

Then to serve just whack them in two partway up the breast.  You have a white meat side and a mostly dark meat side, and it looks cool

My take on "spatchcock" cut for chicken-its cool, but if you need the space, cutting them in half makes it easier to fit a few on the grate.

Thanks much Little,

The whole chicken, beer can or spatchcock sound great if chicken was my one main course or if I had more time to mess w/ stuff. This is actually a cook our for my birthday party. I’m already doing roat beef sandwhiches and don’t want to be too busy. This time I really want to be able to be relaxed and spend time w/ friends I haven’t seen for a while.

Because the BGE was going to be occupied by the reverse sear beef, I was going to marinate some chicken thighs, drums & perhaps some 1/2 breasts overnight. Your idea of Mojo Crillo sounds great.  

Then I was going to bake them in the oven covered untill meat was just about done, then a quick sear on a grill to sear / crisp the skin. Perhaps a little sauce.

How long would you assume that small 1/2 chickens would take at 350 on the grill? I suppose I could do the 1/2 chickens in the oven then grill too.

Do you see a significant flavor & juice advantange to marinated 1/2 chickens over marinated parts w/ skin & bone?

Thanks

JD

Beer can chicken is easy as pie

Indirect heat (on my Weber gas grill thats left and right burner on low, center off )

make sure you have a drip pan under the chicken

4-3-2-1 Rub

tiny bit olive oil

4 tbsp brown sugar

3 tbsp kosher salt

2 tbsp Paprika

1 tbsp Cayenne (or chili powder for less heat)

7 hours ago, Sandflee said:

4-3-2-1 Rub

tiny bit olive oil

4 tbsp brown sugar

3 tbsp kosher salt

2 tbsp Paprika

1 tbsp Cayenne (or chili powder for less heat)

Sounds great :drool: