kross57

Kayak Usage

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Four to five times a week. Five miles average but often enough fifteen mile round trips. I no longer use the same kayak or Mirage Drive for more than two years. 

Edited by EliasV

3 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Twice week and cover atleast 5-10 miles constantly using my drive. It's a 2012 and still going.

Year round? Or certain months? 

5 mins ago, EliasV said:

Four to five times a week. Five miles average but often enough fifteen mile round trips. I no longer use the same kayak or Mirage Drive for more than two years. 

I'm not surprised about the high turn-over rate, considering the state of my hull after 3 years.

Is that distance and usage year round? 

4 mins ago, kross57 said:

I'm not surprised about the high turn-over rate, considering the state of my hull after 3 years.

Is that distance and usage year round? 

Minus January-March most years. I've had a crack in the well happen in two yaks like yours did. Hobie was less kind to me and charged me $800 for me. The well crack was supposed to be correct in all hulls post 2010. I have some water getting into my Revo '16 which sees about 20%-30% of my overall use. I'm assuming it's the well since I use it only for covering long distance with speed. 

6 mins ago, EliasV said:

Minus January-March most years. I've had a crack in the well happen in two yaks like yours did. Hobie was less kind to me and charged me $800 for me. The well crack was supposed to be correct in all hulls post 2010. I have some water getting into my Revo '16 which sees about 20%-30% of my overall use. I'm assuming it's the well since I use it only for covering long distance with speed. 

Does Hobie want their hulls returned or pictures to verify the crack?

2 mins ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

I brought it to the dealer and left it there. I did take a video of the leak dripping and photos of the crack. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

I had a whole f'n ordeal with this. I had the replacement sent to a local shop and I paid for my exchange. No one told me to do with the spare so I put it up as a best offer sort of thing on FB. Then the sh*tstorm reigned down on me that I needed to pull it down and show pictures of it's destruction. Living in NYC at the time I had absolutely no idea where to dump and I handed it off to a friend to get rid of. I pulled the ad down etc but the pictures of it being sawed up and picked up by sanitation put me on the Hobie blacklist. But honestly they truly suck as a company and whenever I can take a dump on them in a video I will. I do have a very good dealership that I like a lot working with me. But Hobie hates transparency and have even reached out to me when they are "offended" by something I do or say in a video. 

Edited by EliasV

10 mins ago, EliasV said:

Gotta say, the policy on hull cracks is bizarre. Without anything set it can change day to day and person to person. 

7 mins ago, EliasV said:

I had a whole f'n ordeal with this. I had the replacement sent to a local shop and I paid for my exchange. No one told me to do with the spare so I put it up as a best offer sort of thing on FB. Then the sh*tstorm reigned down on me that I needed to pull it down and show pictures of it's destruction. Living in NYC at the time I had absolutely no idea where to dump and I handed it off to a friend to get rid of. I pulled the ad down etc but the pictures of it being sawed up and picked up by sanitation put me on the Hobie blacklist. But honestly they truly suck as a company and whenever I can take a dump on them in a video I will. I do have a very good dealership that I like a lot working with me. But Hobie hates transparency and have even reached out to me when they are "offended" by something I do or say in a video. 

Interesting. I posted a simple question on Hobie's forum - why is the hull plastic so soft? You would think I spit on Jesus. After a couple of days the name calling got so bad they pulled the entire thread. And this was about plastic!

I had quite an enlightening conversation with their customer service people not long ago. Found out neat stuff like "hatches are supposed to leak". WTF?