Orca

Sea Herring

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi Solers,

I could use a little help from the New England crowd.  I'll be fishing the Cape anytime now and I'm reading about juvi sea herring in the area and I can find very few patterns online.  I tied this up tonight on a Patridge Patriot Short shank nbr 2 . It isn't as ugly in person and it has a bit more flash than the picture reveals and I was looking for opinions both good and bad on this effort. Thanks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Orca

I think one of the best imitators is a slender surf candy. Right now in my area they are about 2 inches long.  I’ve been experimenting with a dubbed pattern which seemed to fish pretty well today. 

B4D31DCB-13B5-4493-8258-B684DB5C534B.jpeg

C74D47E4-320D-4D98-A621-4304540098A0.jpeg

CDD1027D-13BF-4892-BF74-CA5635B146AC.jpeg

This is is a photo of one from last July, and a fly I tied to imitate it. 

0EF9E59C-DC5B-4A64-92DD-C09B4DCBFE07.jpeg

650656A0-8C20-4743-830D-85F709B40F63.jpeg

Edited by Seadogg

Blend some green/blue/grey that's what the live shot shows to me. A Lefty's would be a fly that would take fish as well. I like fishing the classics....but that little tanish fly looks killer.

Edited by saltyh2ofly
Add to comment.

As juveniles they’re very similar in color to silversides. Tan or olive with pearl belly. As they mature they develop the olive/blue back and silvery sides. 

BTW, the pattern you’ve got there will absolutely work. 

Edited by Seadogg

Clupea harengus Gervais.jpgClupea harengus Gervais.jpg

Here is a picture of a couple of Atlantic Sea Herring. They are fusiform (round cross section) in shape. The ones I have seen washed up on outer Cape beaches were large (8 to 15"). The goldish color around the head was pretty prominent. As I recall George Roberts book on baitfish had a good description of this species.

There can be a massive amount of juvi herring around Race Point. My go to flies then are 4" deceivers with a gray/blueish back, white belly and silver flash.  I also use 4" flex flies in the same color. 

IMG_20180513_165601.jpg

Edited by jabster