FishingisaScience

Low hours....

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hello SOL,

Came across a boat with very low hours (less than 100) on a Honda 150 fourstroke.  Motor is over 10 years old.

Personally I'd rather 500 hours with consistent running, but have my fears.  ANY feedback welcome!

Was the outboard used in salt or freshwater, maintenance records, how was it stored? If done properly I would not have a problem buying an outboard and boat like that, if everything checks out. 

I think 2 strokes do worse with little use. On a 4 stroke unless it was stored in the salt for all 10 years and improperly maintained I'd think you'd be buying almost a new engine considering the rings, valves, etc. One thing I would def switch out if no record it was ever done would be the impeller. Think the rubber/neoprene or whatever it is made from could have dried out (plasticizer is more volatile than the substrate itself) and wouldn't want it to break apart in use. Good luck if you pull the trigger on it!

All maintenance is there and it is a 4 stroke.  Sat on a salt mooring, which is the concern.  Going to compression test  and try to view cylinder walls with a scope through coolant lines.

Impeller was just done.  

Now we wait for the offer response!

I would be interested in knowing how you will access cylinder walls with what I am assuming to be a boroscope through the coolant lines?  If your scope is small enough I would also try to get a peek through the sparkplug hole and check the cylinder walls for scoring.