Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saltfisherman

Today’s report, much better

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Today the water is so much better. Clearer, no dead fish to be found. Fish to be caught. Much much nicer conditions. 

Paddled out from New Pass bridge to the gulf. Stopped at first couple markers and had some fun with catfish, small jacks. Found a large school of ladyfish and just had a blast catching them for a while. Some of the biggest ladyfish I’ve ever seen. Wind had picked up a bit and came inside fishing the pass. Plus a wanted to get back in as the tide was slowing down. This morning was little fun going out against the tide in a narrow pass. Had to stay closer to the beach to over come the tide. 

Came inside and fished, picking up more catfish and spanish mackerel. Nothing big just nice to get my first mackerel ever. They’d pop up from time to time. Found myself doing the run and gun idea, like chasing false albies. Well ok more like the paddle and miss them. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was going to post, the waters/beaches been clean for the past week or so. The Spanish Macks are so thick, I had to stop fishing. (mostly small, though)

Edited by Stuu

No big jacks? No snook? Sounds like what I experienced the entire month of March fishing there, where you are. Small and sparse span. macks, ours', here on Long Island are really impressive @ 25" or so and they taste a lot better on the grill than those skinny macks caught out back in Estero which taste like mud. . What's happened to the big fish we used to catch March, April, and now, May, in Big Carlos, Lovers Key, Bonita Beach? Red tide seems to have killed good (and some really big) fish, drying on shore, loads and loads of baitfish, also, drying on shore; never knew of so many baitfish in the Bonita Gulf before which means, if they're dead, fishing is dead.

I've spent 18 yrs. vacationing on Bonita Beach in the month of March and every year, the fishing has been declining. This year, March 2018, red tide was beyond awful. Dead and dying fish. I caught only two fish in a month, fishing every day. My wife caught only two fish. In    a     month     ! Throwing in the towel on our Gulf Coast Bonita Beach winter March vacation for 2019 and forever more. Done with the Gulf Coast in March. It seems the snook population out in the gulf has not rebounded during the winter months, particularly in March, red tide abounded in March 2018 and only small fish were caught, whether by bait, fly or lures as far as my observation went as well as with fishing friends who fish the entire month of March. I'd suggest vacationing in FL Gulf Coast way beyond month of March. Results seem to be much better.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Was down there week before last and had some of the best fishing I've ever had in the four years I've been visiting now.  Plenty of nice speckled trout, 1-5lb jacks, 18-20" spanish macks, mangrove snappers, and even juvi tarpon.  Live bait rules, and there was plenty of it everywhere.  Fished Lovers Key state park, Big Hickory Pass, and New Pass.  Had a ball.

Never tried it in March, but April def has snook on the beaches from Wiggins Pass up to Lovers Key.  Went in April last year and literally saw hundreds.  Never fished out front this trip, was having too much fun in the back.  If my inlaws had the room Id buy a kayak in heartbeat to keep down there.  Slowly learning my way around and how/where to catch bait.  It's different fishing compared to VA and NC, but still lots of fun.

Edited by Drumfish420

Glad to hear you had a good trip with plenty of fish.

April is definitely a better month to be fishing the areas you fished than March!