richs

teasers while bucktailing

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Not as common as teasers while plugging.  My thoughts- bucktails (usually) present a smaller profile negating need for teaser and if you snag, it's a double L.  Thoughts? 

If distance is not an issue then yes.. have had large hit teaser..  and have had small bass and shad hit teaser .. let Fish swim alil towing bucktail and bang big ger Fish come and grab bucktail 

My experience is that the smaller fish will hit the teaser, but, you have to match the hatch, big fish will Rip through a school of Small bait fish and a small  profile will do just fine

Why not. While not a teaser in the conventional sense like a teaser and plug combo, there is a rig called the tandem bucktail rig that's been around for decades. The smaller 1/8 or 1/4 oz  jig rides off a long leader attached a few inches up from the larger jig 1 oz jig and extending several feet rearward. When retrieved the small jig rides behind the larger jig. This is a very good open beach rig when small fish are around. I have used this rigging style with a weightless teaser off the back instead of a small jig. Works well.

A few years ago fishing Monmouth County NJ huge school of bunkers in front of me getting pounded by bass.  Of course I didn't have a snag rig with me but had a buck tail on.  I said WTF the bunker are so thick, I'll snag a bunker with the buck tail and hope for the best right! Cast out swing a snag motion and boom I got a bunker snagged right?  All of a sudden this bunker is taking drag!.  Five or Ten minutes later I slide up a mid twenty pound bass up on the beach.....He hit the teaser.  Go for it, what can it hurt.

Boat or surf, I always use a teaser.   In surf my teaser is on a short tag but in a boat I vary the length depending on what is working.

Always tease