Seadogg

Schoolies

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Things are a little behind schedule, but the last several days gave me some encouragement. Lots of small bait (juvenile sea herring, I believe) on the surface and birds working. I knew any day it would turn on bigtime. Today was that day. Traditionally, the bite on this tiny bait is best at sunrise and sundown, but I had a feeling it would last today due to the clouds. Left the dock around 0600 and it didn’t take long to find what I was looking for, only my expectations were shattered. Acres and acres of boiling, rolling bass, often with no birds around. Not a boat in sight. As numerous as they were, the fish were keyed in hard on these minnows, and the sheer number of them made it hard to get the fly noticed. I managed several on a small pattern, but most casts went unanswered. I decided to change it up by throwing a large 6” pattern and letting it sink, stripping slowly. This worked a bit better, but damn they were selective. Tons of follows, lots of missed strikes. Maybe landed 2 dozen from 12”-30”. I used a sinking line, but I think a floater would have been slightly more effective. Broke in my thumb pretty well. Cant wait for the next weight class to arrive. 

ABC44ED3-F479-4BA7-9053-38C80CE16D00.jpeg

6C96AC1C-C9A7-4D21-8699-6D1394AAA61F.jpeg

CBA81DC2-F070-4FD3-99DF-17719344E214.jpeg

Way to go Casey......saw lots of birds working over bait at sundown last night .... caught a few schoolies from shore....

Going to launch the boat this week with hopes of finding some bigger fish.