Kings over Queens

Things that evoke powerful emotional reactions...

Rate this topic

137 posts in this topic

JaseB recently commented in the song bird thread about how a red winged blackbird brings him back in time to a special day and the memory is a clear as day to him. That got me thinking.

I was in the car the other day and Thunder Road came on, and every time I hear it, I get a lump caught in my throat.  When my daughter first started dancing, she entered into her 5th grade talent show, and she opened her "number" with the first 10 seconds or so of Thunder Road.  "The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves
Like a vision she dances across the porch as the radio plays Roy Orbison singing for the lonely," and all I can see in my minds eye is my little girl floating across the floor in this while flowing dress.  I cried then and am tearing up now.  Gets me every damn time.  The routine deteriorated pretty quickly as the music (and dance) changed Mylie Cyrus and then Lady Gaga, but the first 10 seconds were magic.

Is there anything like that in your life that you'd like to share?  Could be a sound, smell...taste?

the smell of Jasmine.

it reminds me of one summer evening in Manchester in June 1991, when i'd been out for the evening in Town and it had been raining heavily, right up until i stepped off the bus.

it was around 10pm and just getting dark, but i decided to cut through the park anyway, as i walked in the flower garden by the entrance, the smell of Jasmine just hit me so hard it made me stop and take a breath. it was like the rain had suppressed the flowers scent all day and it had been pent up. and then weirdly all the birds began to call each other like it was morning.

when i got in the house i felt totally high . :shrug:

12 mins ago, Aquacide said:

the smell of Jasmine.

it reminds me of one summer evening in Manchester in June 1991, when i'd been out for the evening in Town and it had been raining heavily, right up until i stepped off the bus.

it was around 10pm and just getting dark, but i decided to cut through the park anyway, as i walked in the flower garden by the entrance, the smell of Jasmine just hit me so hard it made me stop and take a breath. it was like the rain had suppressed the flowers scent all day and it had been pent up. and then weirdly all the birds began to call each other like it was morning.

when i got in the house i felt totally high . :shrug:

You really are ghey.

2 hours ago, Kings over Queens said:

I was in the car the other day and Thunder Road came on,

Bit of trivia - Thunder Rd is the stretch of Tenant Rd in Marlboro between Amboy Rd and Wooleytown Rd where the after races for the real money took place after Raceway Park was done for the day

Our own Jimmy Breeze ruled it back in the day

3 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

Videos of old horse races make me cry like a baby.  I have no idea why.

If you want to bawl like a baby. look up the 2010 Breeders Cup Ladies Classic, the famed Life at Ten debacle. Unrivalled Belle beat Blind Luck by a length and a half, and that cost me ten grand. I'd have hit the Pick 4 if Blind Luck won the race. I still get butterflies thinking of that race.

9 mins ago, Kings over Queens said:

**** off, if you are going to be gay, this is the thread.

He gets a pass.

Lol ok hall monitor of gayness. Let’s talk about feelings...I’m jk. If I could come up with something to share I would.