Richard G

Why is nobody plugging in NYC?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I live on Manhattan and fish the Hudson and East river. I always wonder why everybody is chunking and nobody plugging in these water. Any ideas why that is? 

 

Was thinking of trying some sinking SP

Minnows just to see how that goes. Any suggestions on alternatives? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no reason not to plug in NYC. It can and does work very well in all of the waters you're interested in. Don't let what other fisherman are doing sway you from doing your own thing. I remember taking my kids snapper fishing years ago. There was a community fishing dock which was packed with dozens of people who were all fishing bait. When my sons saw that everyone else had bait and we didn't they got worried that we wouldn't catch anything. Out came my little silver spoon and zing; had a fish on the first cast, the next cast and most other casts. In fact, by the time we were ready to leave, the people with bait were trying to buy my lures from me. Fish your way, not their way. Lures work in the city. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Richard G said:

I live on Manhattan and fish the Hudson and East river. I always wonder why everybody is chunking and nobody plugging in these water. Any ideas why that is? 

 

Was thinking of trying some sinking SP

Minnows just to see how that goes. Any suggestions on alternatives? 

Noone wants to lose an expensive plug on a dead body floating down the Hudson or East rivers. Plus catfish are bottom dwellers.

 

 

Edited by glennsav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

+1. Try Roosevelt Island.  

I have a soccer game there on Monday at 6:30. Planning on giving it my first try after the game. Planning on fishing bucktails from the lighthouse on the North Side of the island. Scoped it out last week. Looks fishy as hell, but the water was moving really fast. Will report back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think in general its just there's way more bait guys than pluggers. Probably a 20 to1 ratio. Bait is easy. Pick a spot and throw it out there. Eventually something will hit it. Plugs require more finesse and proper selection. Besides you ever try drinking a beer while plugging? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bait is cheap and easy, lure is expensive and has a steep learning curve. I feel that the only way to learn about lure fishing is through the internet or books which some people don't have access too or don't have the time for. Bait only requires you to buy bait lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, Frozenbarb said:

Bait is cheap and easy, lure is expensive and has a steep learning curve. I feel that the only way to learn about lure fishing is through the internet or books which some people don't have access too or don't have the time for. Bait only requires you to buy bait lol.

 

The only way to learn about lure fishing is to fish with lures.  Buy one of the books out there on surfcasting with lures 101 and then give it a shot.  

 

Bait fishing is not nearly as simple as throwing out a chunk and sitting in your chair.  Watch the videos on youtube posted by billy the greek. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 mins ago, Surf Caster said:

 

The only way to learn about lure fishing is to fish with lures.  Buy one of the books out there on surfcasting with lures 101 and then give it a shot.  

 

Bait fishing is not nearly as simple as throwing out a chunk and sitting in your chair.  Watch the videos on youtube posted by billy the greek. 

Nooo, I fish with lures and bait lol. I was speaking from experience, I explained why people might choose to chunk bait not instead of lure. I started with bait chunking because someone taught me how but to learn plugging/lure fishing, I had to teach myself and the teaching never seems to end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fished Roosevelt Island last night for an hour or so.  Tried an SP minnow, swim shads/paddle tails on jig heads, mag darter, and bucktails.  Not a single hit and lost two bucktails to the bottom.  It was an interesting experience.  The guys who were throwing bait were definitely intrigued....asking lots of questions and interested in what I was doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.