Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shipwreck

Starcraft 14ft Deep V Quick Mod

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

HELP!

I need to figure out how to best replace the gray cap of very thin aluminum plating with 1/4" aluminum.  I thought I could get a welder  who works with aluminum to just quickly weld the new plate on.

I need it to hold a powerful trolling motor.

It turns out I cannot get a welder to even look at me.  Either too small, or they say its too hard.  Am I mistaken that this should be a quick deal?

Should I just drill through the rivets and bolt down right on top of the exisiting plate?  Thanks for looking.

starcraft.JPG

I replaced mine (16 ft old Grumman) with teak - for top used SS carriage bolts (5/16) with SS anti turn washers, nylon flat washers - under gunnel nylon flat washers, SS flat washers, nylon insert lock nuts.

Posted (edited) · Report post

When I did my previous 13 footer it didn’t have any covering. I took aluminum angle from HD and put it on the inside of the rail using self tapping screws. Then I traced out the shape I wanted in 1/2 inch exterior plywood. It over lapped the rail but not completely. I drilled through the ply into the angle aluminum. Wrapped the ply in rug and Then installed it on the angle using stainless screws with dress caps and locking nuts. Looked great and was able to hold my wireless trolling motor. Oh.....paint the ply before you install the rug or marine vinyl. I also put a 1x2 across the underside of the wide part so it wouldn’t warp. I put the circuit breaker on the underside of the 1x2. 

Here are are some pics of the boat. 

Edited by aae0130

I had a 16' starcraft but didn't have that plate and had to build one myself.   I scribed a piece of 1/2" plywood, sealed it then carpeted it. I thru bolted the gunnel and done.

Go the extra $ for the marine grade, beside not having any voids it has more weather proof glue, I would go will 5/8" or 3/4" if I were doing it.