Steve in Mass

Fiddleheads

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Is that time of year again, got the first ones at the supermarket today. Will be briefly blanched and then sauteed in butter/olive oil with finely chopped shallot and garlic, then finished with balsamic vinegar. Normally they would get paired with sauteed fresh soft shell crabs, but the crabs are late this year and not available here just yet, so they will be going with the sea scallops I went back to buy again yesterday. :)

Nice I hope it turns out great for you! Yeah, we’re all chomping at the bit down here from this long cold we had. Delayed the rockfish migration and spawn and the crabs are just starting to show themselves for the guys that know where to look. Hopefully it won’t hold the first peel off till next month, but who knows. From what I’ve been told by a few guys that are getting them they are sweet heavy bricks so once they start showing up around your way you should be pleasantly surprised. 

Actually saw the very first live softshells up here today in the local fish market, but they were $7 a pop for I would say prime size so I passed to rich for my blood.

A local supermarket has them "dressed" for $4 each, but I don't do that...........they gotta be live...

I will wait for Roche Brothers, they should have them by the end of the week.

I hear you on the pre-dressed softshells. Even if they are dressed fresh and fried in front of you they’re a little saltier than they should be. Down here anyways. Let us know how the soft shells are if you get them next week.

52 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Ramps and morels are in the store also

I saw ramps at the farmstand up the street this week, but they wanted $5 for about 10-15 leaves..........no thanks...........

Don't think I have ever seen morels for sale in a store up this way, which is too bad as both Donna and I love them. THOSE I may be willing to splurge a bit on.

Why are you guys buying fiddleheads? Pick your own. Surprised that anyone would actually buy them, since you can pick and freeze enough in spring to last most of the year. They are delicious, so can understand the demand.

I made Fiddleheads with Hen of The Woods mushrooms yesterday. Sauteed some pancetta removed from pan added onions and garlic then mushrooms for 6-7 minutes then 8 minute blanched fiddleheads cooked for 6-7 more minutes then added back the pancetta for 2 more minutes. Wow was that a great side!

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, Linesideslayer said:

Why are you guys buying fiddleheads? Pick your own. Surprised that anyone would actually buy them, since you can pick and freeze enough in spring to last most of the year. They are delicious, so can understand the demand.

Because with all foraging you really need to know what you’re doing. I personally enjoy it as well, but some people just like the cooking and eating aspect and not the worrying or education that’s required not to make yourself sick or die. 

With some fiddleheads you need to fully cook them and with some they can just make you sick. Bracken is a pretty common find in the northeast region and if you don’t cook them to the point that the toxin in them is broken down they can make you ill and I think I read somewhere that they can cause stomach cancer? Everything nowadays gives you cancer so I would just worry about them being fully cooked. 

Edited by chessie_yaker

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, MorningWood said:

I made Fiddleheads with Hen of The Woods mushrooms yesterday. Sauteed some pancetta removed from pan added onions and garlic then mushrooms for 6-7 minutes then 8 minute blanched fiddleheads cooked for 6-7 more minutes then added back the pancetta for 2 more minutes. Wow was that a great side!

Do you know of any other names for hen of the woods? I was camping in the mountains of western Maryland last year and crossed paths with a guy that hunted Chanterelles and Morels and was willing to show me a couple of his hunting areas, what to look for, how to identify, etc. While walking he mentioned the Rangers said they were finding hen of the woods in that area, but neither of us knew what that was. Then it led to the joke of “you either find bold mushroom foragers or old mushroom foragers, but never old bold mushroom foragers” and that was that. 

Edited by chessie_yaker
autocorrect must be hungover

6 mins ago, MorningWood said:

Maitake

Ram's Head

Sheep's Head

Great thank you! By the way- that recipe sounds pretty delicious. I may have to give it a try sometime