Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roccus7

No $hite Sherlock!!! Older Females Have Better Breeding Potential

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

They just published a paper in Science saying that larger, old female fish lay disproportionally more eggs than smaller females!!!  Who'da thunk it!!

A classic "No $hite Sherlock!!!" moment, but hopefully a catalyst to set slot limits, forcing the harvest away from the larger, over the minimum size limit BOFFFF towards smaller, less fecund fish, regardless of the species.

Edited by BillB
removed commercial link

Ya, who would have figured ? I do love statements of the obvious by people paid to work on our fisheries. Makes me wonder .................

Disproportionate.....  the word has a negative connotation to me. Definition: "not appropriate to, inappropriate to, not commensurate with." As if something is out of whack here... why couldn't the paper have said older larger females have the potential to breed large numbers of juvenile fish? 

2 hours ago, one liner said:

Disproportionate.....  the word has a negative connotation to me. Definition: "not appropriate to, inappropriate to, not commensurate with." As if something is out of whack here... why couldn't the paper have said older larger females have the potential to breed large numbers of juvenile fish? 

Have to read the paper to see how they're defining things, but on a scientific level I believe the wording is correct.  I would expect some measure to be in the paper like "eggs per lb of fish" to emphasize any differences, e.g. if a 10 lb female has 50,000 eggs (5,000 per lb), if things were proportional, a 20 lb female should have 100,000 eggs (5,000 per lb).  If she has MORE than 5,000 per lb, then she has disproportionately more eggs than she should.  Have to check the local library to get the paper.