iphish

This weeks discussion: Is enemy torture coming back?

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Discuss, Personally i feel war is hell and if there is a way of saving innocent american or foreign lives from these barbarians- so be it.  Keep the press out

 

 

Democrats, rights advocates are close to losing the battle over torture.

  • SHARE THIS —
 

Gina Haspel, a career CIA operative who was running the base at the time, told senators this week that the CIA on her watch would never brutalize prisoners. But she didn't discuss the torture of al-Nashiri, and she declined, over and over again, to pass any moral or policy judgment on a CIA program that many people view as a significant departure from American values.

"I believe CIA did extraordinary work to prevent another attack with the legal tools we were provided," Haspel responded, when asked repeatedly by Sen. Kamala Harris, a California Democrat, whether she believed the coercive techniques were immoral.

Haspel, lauded by Republicans and revered by many who worked with her at the CIA, appears likely to be confirmed by the Senate. If that happens, it will mark a major defeat for Democrats, human rights groups and others who have for years sought to pursue a moral reckoning over the CIA's use of torture during the George W. Bush administration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few days ago, Clapper said that he will not be surprised if in the future our history of drone strikes is considered immoral and people call Obama a war criminal.

 

You do what the times and circumstances require.

 

 I hope Haspel gets approved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pray they restart the program.  This is not "normal" war.

 

POWs (normal war) should not be tortured on either side.

 

Enemy Combatants (no uniform, no nation) should be tortured until every last possible iota of info is extracted from them, killed, and buried in such a manner that their religious beliefs are violated, as a warning to the rest of those that seek to engage in such illegal warfare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

I pray they restart the program.  This is not "normal" war.

 

POWs (normal war) should not be tortured on either side.

 

Enemy Combatants (no uniform, no nation) should be tortured until every last possible iota of info is extracted from them, killed, and buried in such a manner that their religious beliefs are violated, as a warning to the rest of those that seek to engage in such illegal warfare.

I always thought fight fire with fire, we should have announced to the world that all of our troops bullets were dipped in pigs blood prior to boots on the ground in the region of Iraq.  70 virgins be damned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the left's argument is disingenuous.  They claim that if we "torture" (which we don't), other countries will start torturing our guys.  That is such an idiotic argument - NO other country out there abides by the geneva conventions or law of war WRT our guys that are captured.  NONE.  Zero - Nil.  

 

The cry-babies making this argument - up to and including McLame - are not to be trusted and are threats to the security of our Nation.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not on the left, but I believe that the way a government treats those in its custody is the most profound statement of how that government views human rights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fish'nmagician said:

This thread is packed full of awesome. 

Contribute if you think that will improve things.... jim makes points worthy of discussion if you disagree with him state your peace 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I’m not on the left, but I believe that the way a government treats those in its custody is the most profound statement of how that government views human rights. 

We are talking enemy combatants, in this day and age terrorists or people involved in the act of terror.

 

You mean to tell me if a person under arrest has direct knowledge of a bomb or suicide bomber in  a school, train, plane, packed sports arena or shopping mall during Christmas......Time is of an essence.

 

Hands off of him other then some tough questioning?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 mins ago, iphish said:

We are talking enemy combatants, in this day and age terrorists or people involved in the act of terror.

 

You mean to tell me if a person under arrest has direct knowledge of a bomb or suicide bomber in  a school, train, plane, packed sports arena or shopping mall during Christmas......Time is of an essence.

 

Hands off of him other then some tough questioning?

 

 

This has NEVER been a conventional war, we are dealing with religious fanatics that just want large numbers dead. Too many innocent people can die while playing Mr. nice guy. These are sick people. A while back Fishweewee posted a video of a child beheading a tied up prisoner with a knife while the "adults" stood around cheering him on. This is their way of life, eff them all.

Edited by Bass Ackwards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I’m not on the left, but I believe that the way a government treats those in its custody is the most profound statement of how that government views human rights. 

 

How you treat POW's is one thing.

 

How you treat terrorists and/or Enemy Combatants is another.  That group does not deserve "human rights."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JimP said:

the left's argument is disingenuous.  They claim that if we "torture" (which we don't), other countries will start torturing our guys.  That is such an idiotic argument - NO other country out there abides by the geneva conventions or law of war WRT our guys that are captured.  NONE.  Zero - Nil.  

 

The cry-babies making this argument - up to and including McLame - are not to be trusted and are threats to the security of our Nation.   

Define “torture” 

 

I would argue we certainly did 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

 

How you treat POW's is one thing.

 

How you treat terrorists and/or Enemy Combatants is another.  That group does not deserve "human rights."

I’ll choose torture a terrorist to save an innocent  person any day of the week and twice on Sunday.... I think most decent people would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

31 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

Define “torture” 

 

I would argue we certainly did 

We may be guilty of 21st century torture.  Which is pretty mild in the scheme of torture historically speaking.

 

In WW2, when the Japanese “waterboarded” someone, they pumped about 5 gallons of water into your stomach, laid you on the ground with a board across your stomach and two guys took turns jumping on the board.  It frequently resulted in a burst stomach and death.

 

We poured water down peoples nose prompting an unpleasant sensation, we didn’t let them sleep, we put them in a box and said the box had a spider in it (it didn’t), we made people stand up for 8-9 hours, we let police dogs bark at them. 

 

Edited by Slacker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.