HardyG

RANT: People fishing at river boat launches

44 posts in this topic

Asking will usually get the desired results, unless the person is a complete jerk.

I've encountered anglers at a road side "boat" launch site and they will always move or offer to move if I am taking my kayak out of the water.

I would be willing to say that most of the anglers I've encountered are aware that they are at a boat ramp and understand that boats will be coming and going.

A person fishing a boat ramp and blocking boat traffic is like someone walking their dog in the middle of the road.

Hopefully your future excursions will be more fish-related and less shore line soap-opera!

Its funny that boat ramp stories are a thing. My dad had to deal with a couple fishing smack dab in the middle of the ramp. Confronting them kindly, he tells them that they are fishing on a boat ramp. The man responds “yeah, but I was here first.” After a few more sentences of getting the point across that its a boat ramp my dad gives up. Really no point in talking to someone with that logic hahaha. 

Posted (edited)

Last weekend I ran into a couple that had their car parked sideways across the boat ramp, didn’t see them at first because they were actually sun tanning on the boat ramp.  They made no attempt to move, just looked up and then laid back down.  Ended up going somewhere else once I saw all the wakeboarders on the lake but they still had no intention of moving.    On top of it all, next the front of their car was a sign saying all activities except launching a boat were prohibited.  

Edited by ne_dan

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:20 PM, ne_dan said:

Last weekend I ran into a couple that had their car parked sideways across the boat ramp, didn’t see them at first because they were actually sun tanning on the boat ramp.  They made no attempt to move, just looked up and then laid back down.  Ended up going somewhere else once I saw all the wakeboarders on the lake but they still had no intention of moving.    On top of it all, next the front of their car was a sign saying all activities except launching a boat were prohibited.  

Tell them to move, if they don't call the police. Blocking a boat ramp with your vehicle is beyond crossing the line.

Ya it's a problem,,,,but if there ms13,,,,it's better to just be nice:)

Here in South Carolina the people are supposed to move out of the way for the boat traffic. I know plenty of friends that call the DNR on people that are fishing on boat ramps that won't move.

Call the authorities because they are essentially commandeering the boat ramp illegally.

As for the side-ways parked car, I would loved to let the air our of the tires on the side opposite of where they parked their butts.

THEN call the police!

Calling the cops is fine except after you launch the bad actors come back and trash your wheels.

Calling the police will get you 0 results on a State Fish and Wildlife boat ramp! You need to call the Game Warden 

cant do that in Hampton NH. Ask my friend Van. Even if no one else is around there is a lady who gets off on yelling at people who ignore the rules and he loves to piss her off it's too funny. 

I've never caught or seen a fish caught within 100 yards or so of a boat ramp in the 57 years I've been drowning lures, jigs, and minnows.

Blocking a boat ramp is pretty stupid.

Just curious why people are defending man and dog? I'm old I'm slow and so is my dog. I would never put myself or my dog in a position to be injured because I wanted ti fish at a "boat ramp". All of the reason stated to defend his behavior are nonsense it's a boat ramp. You are placing the blame on a man that was just trying to launch a boat.The problem starting due to poor behavior from the man with the dog

1 hour ago, CapeDave said:

Common sense has no place in this argument to fish boat ramps.

Common sense doesn't seem to be in any discussion about anything anymore.