HardyG

RANT: People fishing at river boat launches

44 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

Or woman why would u limit issue to man-on-man?

You know what I meant.

On 5/12/2018 at 6:12 AM, HardyG said:

I plead guilty to complaining about a first-world problem. However, yesterday I go to launch my boat at the Belvidere ramp on the Delaware River. The big sign says, "Boat Launch". Standing smack-dab in the middle of the ramp is a guy with an ancient dog that can barely walk. As I'm backing down, he won't move. I strop the truck, get give him a "you gotta be kidding me" look. He still won't move. Screw it, I keep backing the boat until it nearly plows into him. He finally gets the message and moves. He then proceeds to set up three bait rods literally right next to the concrete ramp. Two other guys show up and do the exact same thing. I get it that shore access on the Delaware can be difficult, but do they have to fish EXACTLY at the boat ramp? When I see a shore fisherman, I give them wide berth as to respect their space. There is a private ramp further up the river that costs $300.00 per year. While I'd rather not fork out that kind of money just to avoid ramp-fishing morons, the thought is taking on greater consideration. Rant over, please carry on.

For whatever reason the general level of anxiety at boat ramps is through the roof. I fish the same river and it's always a crap shoot if it'll be a pleasant experience or if there will be some strange conflict.

How far are you able to run up and down from that ramp without hitting water too shallow?  I've never put in there before. 

On 5/12/2018 at 6:12 AM, HardyG said:

... When I see a shore fisherman, I give them wide berth as to respect their space. There is a private ramp further up the river that costs $300.00 per year. While I'd rather not fork out that kind of money just to avoid ramp-fishing morons, the thought is taking on greater consideration. Rant over, please carry on.

Such is most definitley not always the case with others who have boats, and maybe these morons have grown tired of it over the years and are killing 3 birds with one stone. 

8 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

Or woman why would u limit issue to man-on-man?

Because with another guy there is a certain logic. He can listen to you, argue with you, or fight with you. That’s it.....with a female, yo7 have no idea how it will unfold. 

I live in Belvidere and have been fishing that piece of property where the boat ramp is long before it was ever public and personally know the guy your trash talking about! He is one of the better people that frequently fish that small public spot and he to is slow as his dog is and has a tough time getting around! So maybe one day you will be in his shoes and have to put up with some ignorant fool staring you down with anger in there eyes! Then again maybe by then it will be a perfect world and every public fishing access will have perfect well groomed flat fishing trails for the elderly and handicapped! All I’m trying to say is grow up a little bit have a little patience and consider trying a different approach to such a major life inconvenience like quite possibly walking all the way down the long 150 foot ramp and asking if he needed any help moving his stuff so you could back your boat in? I would be willing to bet you will get a better reception at the ramp than you got last time! I am new to this forum actually my first day and this was the first post I read. I want to apologize if I offended anyone that was not my intention but I cannot sit back and watch or read an article someone writes that’s just one sided and in my eyes wrong without voicing my opinion! 

17 hours ago, MikeJules said:

For whatever reason the general level of anxiety at boat ramps is through the roof. I fish the same river and it's always a crap shoot if it'll be a pleasant experience or if there will be some strange conflict.

How far are you able to run up and down from that ramp without hitting water too shallow?  I've never put in there before. 

The reason for the rant and my utter lack of patience with this guy was that two years ago at the Belvidere ramp, I guy fishing on the ramp threw rocks at me as I was motoring in to pull the boat out. "I can't catch any f-ing fish because of all of you people launching your f-ing boats". Uh huh. It's called a Boat Launch for a reason. I motored away and fished for a while longer. He was gone when I got back.

Relative to the Belvidere stretch, barely 1/2 mile below the ramp is Foul Rift, the most dangerous section on the whole river. My rig is a 2017 Rockproof with a 225 Pro XS and I don't even consider going down there, even at high flows. Upstream has some nice pools and islands. There are a few stretches of rapids that have boat-wreckers in them and it is prudent to spend some time locating them.

Posted (edited)

On 5/12/2018 at 2:15 PM, JoeyZac said:

Just for the sake of asking........... You had a "slight" altercation with someone who was there, kind of bullied him out of the way (deservedly so) with your vehicle, launched your boat, and then left in the boat, leaving behind your vehicle, unattended, in I assume relatively close proximity to the person whom you had a slight altercation with?

I have taken to turning my dash cam to right and looping boat launch parking lots to record the license plates of all vehicles before launching. I've had a mag wheel spare stolen, window smashed and radar detector taken among other things. Here's a quote from a subsequent post on why I have no patience for boat ramp morons:

"The reason for the rant and my utter lack of patience with this guy was that two years ago at the Belvidere ramp, a guy fishing on the ramp threw rocks at me as I was motoring in to pull the boat out. "I can't catch any f-ing fish because of all of you people launching your f-ing boats". Uh huh. It's called a Boat Launch for a reason. I motored away and fished for a while longer. He was gone when I got back. "   

Edited by HardyG

11 hours ago, HBird said:

I live in Belvidere and have been fishing that piece of property where the boat ramp is long before it was ever public and personally know the guy your trash talking about! He is one of the better people that frequently fish that small public spot and he to is slow as his dog is and has a tough time getting around! So maybe one day you will be in his shoes and have to put up with some ignorant fool staring you down with anger in there eyes! Then again maybe by then it will be a perfect world and every public fishing access will have perfect well groomed flat fishing trails for the elderly and handicapped! All I’m trying to say is grow up a little bit have a little patience and consider trying a different approach to such a major life inconvenience like quite possibly walking all the way down the long 150 foot ramp and asking if he needed any help moving his stuff so you could back your boat in? I would be willing to bet you will get a better reception at the ramp than you got last time! I am new to this forum actually my first day and this was the first post I read. I want to apologize if I offended anyone that was not my intention but I cannot sit back and watch or read an article someone writes that’s just one sided and in my eyes wrong without voicing my opinion! 

I understand that there can be limited shore access on the Delaware, however, standing in the middle of the ramp while a boat is backing down is simply not acceptable. Since you know that ramp well, you are doubtlessly aware that the "ramp" consists of 8-foot wide concrete treads that extend about 20 feet into the water. If your trailer axle goes off the concrete, you are in trouble. Top it off with the fact that the trail leading to the ramp is little more than a steep gravel path and even anti-lock brakes will not stop a rig from going backwards. I left out that even after he moved out of the way, he had his dog on some kind of retractable reel and let it walk behind my boat when the transom was within ten feet of the water. I love dogs to tears and this guy nearly got his dog squashed. There was an older guy sitting in a chair, 30 feet north of the concrete and he and I had a pleasant conversation after I got the boat in. No issue with him, he's not blocking the ramp, he's just fishing.  The guy standing in the middle of the ramp, staring at me as I'm backing down, letting his dog go wherever it wanted and him refusing to move? That right there is a candidate for the Darwin awards. Do you have any comment regarding the guy throwing rocks at me because I was trying to trailer a boat at a public boat launch? or my truck having been broken into and the mag wheel stolen?

48 mins ago, HardyG said:

Do you have any comment regarding the guy throwing rocks at me because I was trying to trailer a boat at a public boat launch? 

I find this ironic of you to ask for a comment about this considering you didn't say anything back to that guy. At least your post implies that. You said "I motored away and he was gone when I got back." He threw rocks at you, why didn't you do anything about it? It's awfully strange you'd use that as justification to bully a guy out of the way 2 years later when you could've said nicely you're launching your boat. It would've likely been over right there. If he gets mad, then he's the jackass, not you. 

15 hours ago, HardyG said:

The reason for the rant and my utter lack of patience with this guy was that two years ago at the Belvidere ramp, I guy fishing on the ramp threw rocks at me as I was motoring in to pull the boat out. "I can't catch any f-ing fish because of all of you people launching your f-ing boats". Uh huh. It's called a Boat Launch for a reason. I motored away and fished for a while longer. He was gone when I got back.

Relative to the Belvidere stretch, barely 1/2 mile below the ramp is Foul Rift, the most dangerous section on the whole river. My rig is a 2017 Rockproof with a 225 Pro XS and I don't even consider going down there, even at high flows. Upstream has some nice pools and islands. There are a few stretches of rapids that have boat-wreckers in them and it is prudent to spend some time locating them.

Thanks for the info on the Foul Rift.  I have this crazy idea that I can float down the water gap in my 16' aluminum modified V.  It only drafts about 8 inches of water.  Definitely understand that I can't go back up river, but if I can float it with some oar locks I'd love to give it a shot and do a few days fishing and camping.  Then maybe kick it around in some of the deeper pools. 

Am I completely crazy?

Am I completely crazy?

Don't forget the bears!  There's plenty of them up there and they're always hungry.  Camping alone in isolated areas in that part of Jersey can be a risky thing to do.  I found my self cornered by bears twice in the same day doing that.  It's a strange feeling to suddenly realize you're not the top of the food chain.

My apologies for derailing this thread.

Your a true dog lover? You sir and you alone being the operator of vehicle would have been 100% at fault if you would injured or killed this mans dog! I am not at all condoning what this guy did or didnt do! I wasnt there so i do not know the truth to what happened but what i do know is two wrongs do not make a right! I would assume since you were driving a pickup your at least 17 years old jesus act your age and be the better man! Just like you were when  some complete a-hole was childish enough to throw rocks at you s couple years ago! You took the high road turned around and went fishing without stooping to his level! Staring people down or letting your boat and trailer do your talking will never ever be the civilized way to solve anything! All that will do is double the amout off stupid people creating problems on the planet and come on man lets face it we dont need anymore people around like that! Come on people let’s just go fishing and have fun!!! If you cannot keep Stupidity in check stay the hell home please 

Did you know...try asking him to move? Just staring at someone with a nasty look and trying to run them over solves nothing, even if the guy was in the wrong.

5 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Did you know...try asking him to move? Just staring at someone with a nasty look and trying to run them over solves nothing, even if the guy was in the wrong.

I'll ask most of the time but it's not as fun as putting the trailer right next to their chair or kayak. The look of panic is fun.

Posted (edited)

I'm just north of you (OP) on the same stretch of Delaware...

Bucket brigade reps fishing right off the ramp, casting bobbers (into 6 inches of water non-the-less)?  Check.

A flotilla of plastic Viking battle ships occupying a new-found land (ramp)?  Check.

Handful of aircraft carriers disguised as inflatable rafts on D-day?  Check.

Peeps reading for battle at water's edge - same ramp?  Check.
BBQ'ing, or practicing away from mockery of their friends?  Check.

My, your and everyone else's lists go on and on..........

While frustrations can get to the best of us, the judgement passed here in many above responses tells me (well, you) and reminds us all that a little bit of civility goes a long way.  

Live and let live, and try to remember that not everyone is a professional expert in all aspects of life, as we all wish they were.

If you think I'm preaching a bit here....I am, but to all, including myself, as I am an equal opportunity "know it all"..............just like every other one of us!

We all need a reminder once in a while of where we all came from.

:)

PS:
My own 'tactic'?

Pull up, give them plenty of room, start getting things ready and watch as most of the time any one of said offenders usually move outta the way.

And if they don't?...."Hey bud, mind moving your **** outta the way for a min?" always yielded satisfactory results, w/o the need for concern if my windows will be broken or tires flat when I get back.

PPS:
...and where the hell is a pic of this super secret new ride you now have, but teased us a year ago with!? 

Tight lines and see you all out there.

Edited by 99ways2die