albacized

Naples pier...open?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Heard it was shut down for a while after last year's storm...is it back open yet. Probably going to spend most of my time fishing north of there, but it'll be close enough to hold that location in my back pocket (mostly going to be fly fishing from the beach/jetties...but don't mind throwing some spinning stuff for spanish macs and other small game)

Work is going to start after Memorial day.  I don't know if they allow fishing now ,but you can go out on the pier up to a point at concession stands that are closed.

When I was there in March it was only open 1/4 of the way and well posted NO FISHING! 

They also passed a new rule on there, no treble hooks allowed and it is enforced

On 5/19/2018 at 9:48 AM, NJ Dave said:

When I was there in March it was only open 1/4 of the way and well posted NO FISHING! 

They also passed a new rule on there, no treble hooks allowed and it is enforced

My guess is that the pier will slowly but surely lose access for fishermen. Was told they applied for a liquor liscence and if so, will probably become a sunset/tourist attraction with no fishing if they turn the end into a cabana bar. Atleast the drunks will only get hooked by single hooks if so. Pisses me off that I grew up fishing there and couldn't even use my gotcha lures last few trips or sabiki for bait with a tarpon rod out or they might take my rods. What happens when the authorities don't know anything about fishing

What is the point of going to a pier and not being able to fish?

It seems to me that the piers that make the most money make their money from fisherman. It would be pretty sweet to be able to grab a draft beer while fishing.

The no fishing is only because the pier as a whole is not open. You can’t fish if there is no access to the water and what access there is short and no water depth. 

6 hours ago, dennysnook said:

My guess is that the pier will slowly but surely lose access for fishermen. Was told they applied for a liquor liscence and if so, will probably become a sunset/tourist attraction with no fishing if they turn the end into a cabana bar. Atleast the drunks will only get hooked by single hooks if so. Pisses me off that I grew up fishing there and couldn't even use my gotcha lures last few trips or sabiki for bait with a tarpon rod out or they might take my rods. What happens when the authorities don't know anything about fishing

Does the treble hook thing apply to lures with treble hooks?...I was thinking it mean as a bait hook

PS - I just sent down a 'care package' to my mother down there  filled with fishing goodies that I plan to use next week. And part of that included some rapala x raps. Are they now off limits?

The No treble hook rule is just on the Naples Pier. It went into effect before the the storm and repairs. 

I believe it was because of the pelicans that get hooked so often

Oh...no sweat then. given the info on this thread, I'm obviously not going to make the effort to drive there from N Fort Myers (and in fact, have since made plans to take a ride up to venice and stay there for 2 of the days)...May or may not make the effort to either hit Higgins Pass or ride out to Sanibel for one day

Don’t discount the causeway, I bet there’s snook and poon willing when  the crowd thins out after sunset 

It's because of the pelicans and only on the pier as was said. They police that way better than people purposely feeding them which is the real problem of residency and dependancy, all the fishing suffers. Not a big shark guy but targeted them at the pier at night growing up multiple times and they took that away long ago. That beachline is fairly productive though if you in the area. Can still park at 32nd in port royal, and 3rd Ave where there is some minor broken down piling structure at 32nd and much better a 3rd. Whole trough is good to walk the beach and sight fish snook with water clarity