Jelorian

Reel suggestions for 2 casting surf rods, 9' and 10'

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's been a loong time since I've fished for stripers in the surf.  Actually it's been a long time since I've been out fishing seriously and I want to get back into it again.

I have 2 rods that are both not currently matched up to reels.  Neither are expensive nor high end, but I just want to put reels on them.

Will mainly be using them in the surf of beaches and jetties.  Possibly one for soaking bait and the other for throwing lures.  I am thinking that that they might be too heavy for surf stripers in the SF Bay Area.

I'm going off what is shown on the rods themselves.

First rod is a Tica TC2, 9', 12-30#, 2-6oz, Medium Heavy, Fast Action

The 2nd is a Tsunami Trophy Series, 10', 20-40#, 4-6oz, Heavy.

Looking for reels in the $100-$200 range.  Not too particular on level wind versus non.  Prefer metal over graphite, but I realize that may be asking too much.  I don't mind buying used as well.

I have no problems making one of them a shark/bat ray/sturgeon rig, but I am hoping that 1 of them could be used for surf stripers.

I have no experience with braid but I am open to start using it. 

I realize that there are tons of other variables to consider so if I can clarify anything please let me know.

Thanks!

Edited by Jelorian

Posted (edited) · Report post

I personally use a newell P229F on my 10 foot bait stick (made by d-blue), I like it quite a bit.  I use 4-6oz pyramids and it is the setup I cast further than others.

I think your 9 foot rod might be too stiff for casting lures, but you can try pairing it with an Abu C3.  The older models with the spindle attached to the spool are pretty tough.  I have a few older rocket models and they do pretty well for me,  both levelwind and CT.  I use them on a 8'6" salmon rod rated 10-20, 1/2-1.5.  The heaviest I cast with that is 2 oz kastmasters.

Just my .02

Edited by regulate

You don’t need to buy a crazy expensive reel. Go to one of those auction sites and pick up a penn squidder. $40, put new drag washers in, clean the spool and gears (an hour worth of work) and you will have an amazing surf reel, try to get the squidder with the aluminum spool. Pm me. I may have one you can have. 

On 5/14/2018 at 7:02 PM, regulate said:

I personally use a newell P229F on my 10 foot bait stick (made by d-blue), I like it quite a bit.  I use 4-6oz pyramids and it is the setup I cast further than others.

I think your 9 foot rod might be too stiff for casting lures, but you can try pairing it with an Abu C3.  The older models with the spindle attached to the spool are pretty tough.  I have a few older rocket models and they do pretty well for me,  both levelwind and CT.  I use them on a 8'6" salmon rod rated 10-20, 1/2-1.5.  The heaviest I cast with that is 2 oz kastmasters.

Just my .02

I looked into the Newells but I hear parts are harder to get now?  I already have a couple older Okuma Convectors as well as a 6500 and 5500 Abu Garcia's but just wanted to try something else.

I agree that my 9' rod may be too stiff for throwing lures.  Heck the 10' is similar stiffness so I just might have to regulate them to just soaking bait.

Thanks for your reply. 

On 5/17/2018 at 7:32 AM, HLBM1985 said:

You don’t need to buy a crazy expensive reel. Go to one of those auction sites and pick up a penn squidder. $40, put new drag washers in, clean the spool and gears (an hour worth of work) and you will have an amazing surf reel, try to get the squidder with the aluminum spool. Pm me. I may have one you can have. 

Yeah, I realize that.  Like in my previous reply to regulate, I do have a few reels that I can try, I just wanted to try something else. 

From the looks of it I just may have to get a different rod for throwing lures for surf striper.

Thanks for the offer on the squidder.  I do like Penn's but I'll look at other options for now.

Cheers!

If you up your budget a little, Shimano Calcuttas work well for me. I'm pretty sure that you can find used ones in your price range on the auction site.

Consider the 300 series Daiwa Lexa reels.  They're inexpensive, come with a power handle, and are extremely popular on the coastal rockcod headboats.