cycotr0n

6nbait rod recommendation

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi All! First post here... hoping for some advice.

I'm currently fishing with a 10'6" Tica UEHA632002S (2-8oz) and a Penn Battle 6000.  I really enjoy the feel of the rod, though prior to this one I've fished mostly heavy, low-end rods.  I usually fish in Maryland with bunker chunks, clams, or sand fleas. My experience is that the rod throws 4oz+bait well, but 6oz+bait seems a bit heavy for it. Lately it seems that 4oz just isn't holding, so I've been starting at 6oz.

If I stick with Tica, would the 11' UEHA733502S (3-8oz) feel more at home with 6nbait?  Or would the 12' UEHA836502S (4-10oz) be a better fit? Any other recommendations around that price range?  I enjoy the light feel of the 10'6" rod that I have now and want to avoid fishing with a telephone pole if I can.  If there are schoolie bluefish biting, I still want to be able to have some fun reeling them in. 

(I've been looking at Tica rods just because I already have one... I've also heard good things about the Tsunami Airwaves. I'm really open to anything within my budget that would pair nicely with my Penn Battle).

Thanks!

I Have that  12' tica 4-10 and it launches 8 and a bunker chunk with no problem. Could probably handle 8 and a whole bunker. Haha. It's a great chunking stick for the price. Lightweight and sensitive yet with some serious backbone. A battle 6000 might be a bit small for that rod though. If you're gonna stick with the battle then the 8000 would probably fit a little better. I have a shimano ultegra 14000 on mine and it's a nice match. Casts a mile.

I too am in the same situation as you. I'm using a 962m Tsunami with Ultegra 5500 throws 2-1/2 n bait excellent. A St Croix mojo 10'6" 2-6 with DAIWA 5500 T Entoh that throws 4 n bait excellent!

I need a good 6 n bait combo ?

Thanks for the replies.  I'm a little hesitant to go to a 12' rod... I've only casted 10' - 10'6" rods in the past and I'm concerned that 12' might be too much for me.  I'm looking at this Tsunami Airwave now, 11' rated at 4-8oz (TSAWSS-1102XH).  Does anyone have any opinions on it?  The casting model (TSAWSC-1102XH) is rated at 4-10oz... not sure why these two would be different.

I love the 12 foot Tica conventional.   The components are not the best.  I re wrapped it with better guides. It’s my go to for 6nbsit .  I personally think it gets a bite soft with 8nbait.  I also have the 11 ft.  It will throw 6 but it’s more of a 4-5nbait rod.

Don’t be afraid of going to a 12 footer unless you are fishing jetties, bridges or any place the backcast room could present an issue. I personally prefer to go heavy on my bait setups. I like my usual maximum payload to be in the sweetspot of what the rod can do and not at the top end. I have never seen a rod that was under rated mostly all are over rated. Tossing 6-8 oz and a 3-4oz bunker head is not a small payload. Its heavy and wind resistant and i like the ratings to be so that a 10 oz payload is somewhere in the middle upper range. Rods rated 6-12 for example. For all you guys that prefer spinning for bait the daiwa tds 12 ft 6-16 is a sleeper of a rod for @$200. That is a high rating imo. 6-12 is more relaistic maybe an ounce or two over that at the most. Unfortunately its only made in a spinning model. 

On 5/14/2018 at 9:34 AM, cycotr0n said:

Thanks for the replies.  I'm a little hesitant to go to a 12' rod... I've only casted 10' - 10'6" rods in the past and I'm concerned that 12' might be too much for me.  I'm looking at this Tsunami Airwave now, 11' rated at 4-8oz (TSAWSS-1102XH).  Does anyone have any opinions on it?  The casting model (TSAWSC-1102XH) is rated at 4-10oz... not sure why these two would be different.

I use the same exact rod and love it. It's a heaver, but not built like a telephone pole. Plus, it's a great rod for the money. I have it paired with a Penn 704 greenie with 50lb braid. I've thrown 8nbait with it many of times with no worries. The rod loads very nicely.  I've tackled many big bass and black drum with it from the surf while having fun enjoying the fight even with smaller bluefish.   

12 hours ago, redfin said:

daiwa tds 12 ft 6-16 is a sleeper of a rod for @$200. That is a high rating imo. 6-12 is more relaistic maybe an ounce or two over that at the most. Unfortunately its only made in a spinning model.

Guide layout used on the TDS 12' will work just fine with a multiplier too.