tomkaz

Do You Sous Vide? Should I?

Rate this topic

97 posts in this topic

Bad photo, that seems to look dry.  Not at all.  48 hours at 135.  Spot on, slices just right, not all fall apart. It works.1F6DE456-CE0D-4B81-866F-541B845C467A_1_105_c.jpeg.c6ca13a0078fa16105f5661322e400cb.jpeg

Had a quart of whole milk sitting in the fridge, so tried sous vide yogurt the other day.   

1) Milk in mason jars with lids (not sealed, just loosely tightened), into bath and set at 180.  Left for an hour.  (denatures proteins)

2) Turn machine off and let jars sit in the bath for another 75 minutes or so.  (to cool the milk so it doesn't kill the active cultures)

3) Pull a tablespoon or so from each jar of milk into a bowl, add an equal part store-yogurt, mix, and distribute back to mason jars.  (store yogurt needs to have active culture)

4) Stir, turn the machine back on set to 110, and let go for 5-7 hours to incubate/ferment.   Move jars to fridge overnight.  

Stupid easy...nothing really to clean up since everything is done right in the jars.  About 5 minutes active work, and would be just as easy to scale up volume.   Going to keep doing it and tinker around with adding flavors in step 2.  Vanilla, citrus zest, etc.   Or flavors like garlic or curry for savory yogurt sauces/dips for grilled/roasted meats.

IMG_2178.jpg.b711cc5019ec5919ad6a3a4ff0c89ecb.jpg

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the world of sous vide and so far have only done steaks.  In this thread I see a lot of mentions of cooking for extended periods of time in a sous vide in the so-called 'danger zone' aka 40-140 F.  Is there increased risk of food borne illness with sous viding something for, say, 24 hours @ 135 F?

Haven’t been at it very long either but seems to be a consensus in info I’ve read that 130F or above is fairly safe.  I’ve cooked a few roasts for 24-30 at 130 with no problems.  Below 130F you should sear meat before SV to kill bacteria on exterior.  Above or at 135 for a few hours is supposed to be very safe as in time that temperature kills almost all bacteria just as a short time at 160, below 126 may be somewhat higher risk as some harmful bacteria might persist.  

On 4/30/2020 at 10:32 AM, JimW said:

Haven’t been at it very long either but seems to be a consensus in info I’ve read that 130F or above is fairly safe.  I’ve cooked a few roasts for 24-30 at 130 with no problems.  Below 130F you should sear meat before SV to kill bacteria on exterior.  Above or at 135 for a few hours is supposed to be very safe as in time that temperature kills almost all bacteria just as a short time at 160, below 126 may be somewhat higher risk as some harmful bacteria might persist.  

between 130-135 has been my go to for long & short cooks for beef & pork. Poultry is a different story