Do You Sous Vide? Should I?

Rate this topic

13 mins ago, Sudsy said:

I'm the king of effing up good meat on the grill by overcooking it or undercooking it

If there's a way I can guarantee perfect medium rare meat every time and with a perfect crust I'm all in

It's so easy, even you wife couldn't fk it up. :th:   If you have a big dinner party, do it in advance, back in the fridge, finish up the crust at dinner time. Edge to edge perfect pinkness. 

Obviously everyone has their own preferences. I've tried many different way of cooking steak and seems like this one might be the easiest not to mess up since you set the temp then sear it. 

One thing to the advantage using this is that I can pull the steak from the fridge and start this and still won't mess up the center temp without poking at it. It will always be at the temp you set it. 

One thing you do get is the juice in the bag. You can then make a steak sauce to go on top of it if you are that type.

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

Obviously everyone has their own preferences. I've tried many different way of cooking steak and seems like this one might be the easiest not to mess up since you set the temp then sear it. 

One thing to the advantage using this is that I can pull the steak from the fridge and start this and still won't mess up the center temp without poking at it. It will always be at the temp you set it. 

One thing you do get is the juice in the bag. You can then make a steak sauce to go on top of it if you are that type.

You can go straight from frozen if you want.  

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

I have an Anova nano.  750w max 5 gallon bucket.  I use a 10 qt stockpot.  I don’t cook for more than 6 with it.  I think 900-1000w gets you a bigger bucket, around 8 gal.  
It can take a while to heat up cold water to 185F so I start with hot tap water or even put the stockpot on a burner.  It holds temperature within 0.2 F once you’re there.  Somebody else would have to make an argument that $60-100 wouldn’t get something that works fine. 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

22 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I'm the king of effing up good meat on the grill by overcooking it or undercooking it

If there's a way I can guarantee perfect medium rare meat every time and with a perfect crust I'm all in

its called a thermometer. you can even get ones that talk to your phone!

Well.  Interesting gadget.  

Done a couple cheap steaks so far, kind o0f getting a groove on temperatures.

The soft boiled eggs are a hoot.  Piece of chicken-perfect for cutting up in salad.

Next is marinade.  Or chicken thighs.

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

On 1/2/2020 at 8:04 AM, Little said:

Well.  Interesting gadget.  

Done a couple cheap steaks so far, kind o0f getting a groove on temperatures.

The soft boiled eggs are a hoot.  Piece of chicken-perfect for cutting up in salad.

Next is marinade.  Or chicken thighs.

My next adventure with it is duck confit.  Made it years ago when I had a lot of duck fat around.  Need next to none to confit sv but it’s at least a full day cook

I saw an 'Instant pot' type device for under $100 in one of the big boxes (Costco I think) that did sous vide too, in addition to slow and pressure. Tempting if we had the counter space. But I don't know how much I'd really use it for that. Thick cuts of beef are not frequent around here and usually get smoked now.  Our cast iron stovetop grill gets used all the time for boneless chicken, I can't imagine sous vide being better. You just have to get good at judging doneness. Or get a good thermometer.  I have a Chugod for the oven and smoker that has 2 probes and talks to the phone. It can graph the temp! Unfortunately the bluetooth range is pretty short.

The duck confit came out great.  Duck legs, bay leaf, thyme, spoon of duck fat.  Salt day ahead, 170f 12 hours.  

Edited by JimW