Do You Sous Vide? Should I?

Rate this topic

My 21yo has a sous video machine in his college apartment and uses it twice a week. At Easter he told me I was a "culinary Luddite" because I don’t have one. Other than seeing them used in "Burnt", I know only what little I’ve read. I get the concept but not sure why it has become the "must have" kitchen tool. 

For you users, separate the hype/trendy from the reality and convince me I need one (or not).

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Just another tool to cook with.  Can make some great stuff with it . Not sure it is "all that".  But def has it's place.  Love a steak 122 degree's edge to edge with a quick sear at the end.  

That's just silly,no way I'm cooking a steak in a bag, I only grill my steaks.

how lucky am i

to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard

Shooting a coon in a 60ft tree out of a boat in the dark holding a flashlight can be tricky. ..

4 hours ago, redfishkiller said:

That's just silly,no way I'm cooking a steak in a bag, I only grill my steaks.

^^ OH LOOK, another "culinary luddite". :howdy:

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Not a fan, and for what one costs to do it correctly, just ain't worth it. Like Red, my steaks go on a grill and get the same results with even cooking if done right.

I suppose it can be okay for fish as well, but frankly the type of fish that would do well in it are not the kind of fish I want to eat, those fish are for folks that don't like fish..........

But that is just me.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

4 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Not a fan, and for what one costs to do it correctly, just ain't worth it. Like Red, my steaks go on a grill and get the same results with even cooking if done right.

I suppose it can be okay for fish as well, but frankly the type of fish that would do well in it are not the kind of fish I want to eat, those fish are for folks that don't like fish..........

But that is just me.

This^^^^^^

how lucky am i

Shooting a coon in a 60ft tree out of a boat in the dark holding a flashlight can be tricky. ..

5 hours ago, tomkaz said:

^^ OH LOOK, another "culinary luddite". 

if cooking meat over a fire (like a man) makes me a ludite so be it!

I don't eat crepes either, 

Bon appetite!!!

images.jpeg

how lucky am i

28 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

if cooking meat over a fire (like a man) makes me a ludite so be it!

I don't eat crepes either, 

Bon appetite!!!

images.jpeg

Do I even want to know what’s in that bag? Anything related to cooking that gives similar instructions as a claymore can’t be that good. 

My current vision of Red

Caveman.jpg

- Victor Davis Hanson 

7 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

But that is just me.

I would never cook fish sous vide....Swordfish maybe... Steaks on the other hand are hands down best....  

What temp do you like it.   115,  116,  117,  118,  ....140?  hope not 140.   Set it and forget it.   2-3 hours anyway.   Then sear the hell out of it after you pat it completely dry.  .It will be the the same color pink you wanted from one surface to the next.   And dark brown on outside.  

To sear I have used my Weber grill{not great},  A propane torch(better),  Cast iron pan heated on a jet burner to about 650....best

Put smoke on it too if you want...

The one in the pic I have been using for 5 years. 100 clams about.

sous vide.jpg

You nancies use a grill for steaks?   Stick that NY strip on a sharpened stick and cook it over a flint-started fire like a man.   

I have that same Anova.  I like it.  For thick steaks, it cannot be beat.  I like a 2" steak on the grill as much as the next guy, but it won't be perfect like the same steak started sous vide.  

I've tried it with pork chops.  Prefer the grill, but I like thinner chops.  It makes great juicy chicken breast to either eat hot or cool for chicken salad.  Thighs/legs/wings over charcoal is better, but if you have to choke down a breast, sous vide at 135 makes it palatable.  

For fish, you can throw any white flaky filet in with butter and herbs and it'll taste the same as if baked or done on the grill in foil, but turns it into a slow-cooker "set and forget" deal if you want.  Nearly impossible to overcook.   I haven't tried yet, but I'm sure it's perfect for lobster and monkfish as well.   

Like ScottO said, just another tool.  Paired with a vacuum sealer and some creativity, it's great for having good meals cooking for an hour or two while you're busy doing other stuff.  Turns out better than slow-cooker cat-food mush, and easier to clean up afterwards.  

How does fat content or beef marbling come into play? I can see chicken breads meat, devoid of fat if skinned, being better with low and slow. Same of beef filet which has low fat content.

On the other hand who does a well marbled NY strip do? Can the quick sear at the end make that fat melt into deliciousness? Hate to bite into a hunk of prime beef and have nearly "raw" (ie ungrilled) fat to chew on. 

- Victor Davis Hanson 

I can get nearly perfect edge to edge doneness with reverse sear but it’s not set it and forget it.   I considered sous vide more for infusing flavors but haven’t messed with it yet. I don’t think I would bother just to cook a steak. 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

1 hour ago, JimW said:

I can get nearly perfect edge to edge doneness with reverse sear but it’s not set it and forget it.   I considered sous vide more for infusing flavors but haven’t messed with it yet. I don’t think I would bother just to cook a steak. 

It is a good tool for infusing flavors. The reverse sear requires a lot of attention where the sous vide will allow you to cook and hold a piece of meat while you wait to sear the outside. 

I do not use it often, but their are some applications where it does well. Next time you use it, try to cook octopus. It will be cooked to a soft texture and then you can crisp the outside on a grill.

To dismiss the method without actually trying it is foolish. It has a purpose and it is not for everybody, but you should try it before you completely scoff at the idea.

:rav: Hello Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please.

See, now, this is helpful and nice. ^ :)

But the machine is still not for me. Just my preference.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174