Butcher Block Work Bench Surface, Naked or Finish It?

Rate this topic

flyangler

My masonite just lays on top. I flipped it after about 10 years. No fasteners, seems like theres always enough crap piled on top to hold it down. 

Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes.

The only issue I've had with straight mineral oil is that it will bleed back on to items on the surface. Papers, fabric, leather will absorb the oil and stain. Even days after application.  Might not be an issue for a workbench, but I learned this the hard way after installing a BB kitchen island.  Ruined my wife's high-end leather purse, and we learned not to put important papers on the surface. I started using a conditioner that is food-grade blend of oil and wax. The wood seems to hold it better. 

SG1 never had that problem  with  BB counter my Dad built for me. Put on a thin coat , wiped it dry and re applied.  Let it dry a few days.  I re apply every couple years. Although I basically use it as a counter and not a work surface. Only holds a slicer, kitchen aid ,blender and some canisters.  Sorry to hear about purse.

3 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

Shame to use a new butcher block as a workbench

Edsal sells it as a workbench via HD, Lowe’s and elsewhere.  I didn’t want SS nor composite so it was this or a veneer finish over MDF or something. There was a price premium but not that much in the grand scheme of things. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

• 4 weeks later...

Getting there. So many distractions that it’s taken me weeks to get a chance to assemble. 

51088CDD-76EA-4B41-896B-BB48CE5C6701.thumb.jpeg.05fcc6e686204c1a0ae29bc61aa63188.jpeg

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson