chessie_yaker

Skunked at SPSP on Saturday

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

We tried our hands at surf fishing and came home empty handed, but it was a great day to sit on the beach, sip a shandy, meet some cool people and learn some tricks. I realistically didn’t think I’d catch much on our first surf outing, but I went with enough understanding to have a little hope. 

We got to the sand later than planned (9:00) and set up shop on the east side of the south beach. We were told it was a pretty slow day, but it was good to get out and get a feel for how to set up, learn what else is needed for the next trip and watch the little man run around with other kids and bury each other in the sand. Low 70s, cloudy with patches of drizzle and water temp around 60. 

One guy that got there around 5:30 had pulled 12 out by 3, but all were around 20-28 on bloodworms, the largest on bunker. A couple other people pulled a couple schoolies  out and one guy landed a pretty big cat. I didn’t get close enough to see which, but I’d guess it was around 30-34” and it was fat. We hung in there till around 6:30 and called it a day. 

I’ll probably wait until after the 1st to head back down there since the run has been off this year. There’s still Shad running far up in the Susky so the spawn seems like it was delayed by the cold a bit. I have some spots that I want to hit up in the Susky and some crabbing spots I want to scope out near the gunpowder and saltpeter so I’ll have plenty to do until regular keeper season comes around. 

I hope everyone is having a great start to the season and hope to see some of you out there. Tight lines and full baskets!

We went down on April 28th same thing skunk one guy caught maybe a 12” striper. Like wise beautiful day and kids a blast playing at the beach and in the water so it was a good day fish would of been a bonus. I’m going to A.I. and IRI this weekend and we have a camping trip with scouts next weekend but the following weekend may head back to SPSP

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, OnTheFish said:

We went down on April 28th same thing skunk one guy caught maybe a 12” striper. Like wise beautiful day and kids a blast playing at the beach and in the water so it was a good day fish would of been a bonus. I’m going to A.I. and IRI this weekend and we have a camping trip with scouts next weekend but the following weekend may head back to SPSP

Good luck down south and have a good scout outing. I may see you down at SPSP that weekend if it sounds like the 35+ers have come into the area. If not I’ll probably be up near the dam before it dies down or exploring the flats. 

42 mins ago, dannpakk said:

Was driving back from OC this past weekend around 6. Saw tons of ppl on that beach. Looked like the wild west out there

It was steady on Saturday but never got too crowded. Everyone had their spaces staked out and everyone was visiting and just enjoying the day. Only had someone cross my line twice, once being a buddy that hasn’t fished in years. I heard it’s bad at night when it really gets packed and you spend more time untangling from people that can’t cast than waiting for a bite. I’ll just stick to the Susky for night fishing unless I’m going further south or east

Edited by chessie_yaker

I fished Sunday out of my boat. Ran from St Michaels at 6 AM to Buoy 78 south of the Choptank and played bumper boats with the charter boats in the Rod and Reel tournament. Buddy said he got fish back near Poplar Island so I went back up the Bay. Had to clear two tandems that snagged bunker and got all twisted up. Almost got run over by a Hinkley picnic boat named Magic who was probably texting while his boat was on autopilot. Dug out my horn at the last minute. He heard the blast and slowed about 50 feet behind me. Picked up a 41 inch fish (finally) at 6:40 PM after we had taken in all of the boat rods and two of the board rods on the starboard side. She hit the last starboard board rod. Got back to the dock around 9 PM.