wild edible plants

Rate this topic

Find a quick flowing stream On the banks that get over flowed in early spring. They like sandy areas that were recently flooded. be sure to pick just the bracken fern heads. they should be green, about three inches high with a light peeling coating of tan.

6 mins ago, Mainiac said:

Find a quick flowing stream On the banks that get over flowed in early spring. They like sandy areas that were recently flooded. be sure to pick just the bracken fern heads. they should be green, about three inches high with a light peeling coating of tan.

5 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

About quarter size and reasonably firm.

If they have started to unfurl it's too late.

What they said.

The Sultan of Sluggo

As a young boy growing up in the 1950's in England, our Sunday family picnic outings usually ended up with my sister and myself being dispatched to go pick nettles, yes the stinging type.

We would pick bags of them which my Dad would then brew into 'Nettle tea'.

It tasted foul to me, but that was a child's tastebuds. To my parents and relatives it was a delicacy.

I always thought that it was a drink made popular by most things being rationed or none at all during WWII until in later years I read that it was a traditional brew with major health benefits.

6 mins ago, saxon59 said:

As a young boy growing up in the 1950's in England, our Sunday family picnic outings usually ended up with my sister and myself being dispatched to go pick nettles, yes the stinging type.

It tasted foul to me, but that was a child's tastebuds. To my parents and relatives it was a delicacy.

I always thought that it was a drink made popular by most things being rationed or none at all during WWII until in later years I read that it was a traditional brew with major health benefits.

My Polish grandmother made this. Tasted foul to me too. But she loved it and lived into her 90s.

The Sultan of Sluggo

30 mins ago, bdowning said:

The root tastes like cucumber?

Yes sir.   Easy to find and identify by their leaves and root.  They are not very large, the root itself but somewhat naturally sweet.

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

3 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

when are they ready to pick? i found some the other day but i dont think they were ready. they had a white fur on them.

Don’t eat the furry ones, man. Those are cinnamon fern. 

20 hours ago, bassturds said:

going off a different topic.  i want to find fiddleheads. ive had pickled fiddleheads before they were pretty good. any advice where to find them

dandielion wine.  ive had beach plum brandy before. was pretty good.  

Sorry but you need elephant fern and  we don't have them on the South Shore.

On 5/4/2018 at 6:11 PM, saxon59 said:

I love nettles. You boil them and the broth has a very rich, almost buttery taste. The Nettle are used many ways, on pizza, sautéed with onions in a frittata, pesto, risotto..they are very tasty made properly ..