ksong

big durm using 13' Black Hole Surf II Heavy out of Hatteras, NC

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was at a show last year and a salesman comes up and hands me a rod and says, "here check this out". It was the Black Hole rod. Didn't buy it right there but it's on the top of my list. Unfortunately my life ****ed up right now and I have little time for fishing. Maybe in the near future I can go whole hog.

Edited by joetackle

I just took delivery on a Century 1327, and it's about a 50/50 split.  It casts quite well.

I don't know if one system of ferruling is inherently superior to another, I suspect that the care with which the rod is made has a lot more to do with the end result.  I fished for years with Fenwick Big Surfstik rods that used a tip-over-butt ferrule, and they were fine.  That was thirty years ago.  The Century 1327 is also a tip-over-butt, and it too is fine. 

The century’s do cast nicely. They also have some of the best engineering ever out into fishing rods. Think forumula one car tech.

Wasnt saying they won’t, just surprised. You typically don’t see the 70/30 split except in heavers. Not sure why. 

15 mins ago, TreednNC said:

Wasnt saying they won’t, just surprised. You typically don’t see the 70/30 split except in heavers. Not sure why. 

Just because of length. We make 10' Surf II rods 40/60 and we make longer rods 50/50.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:34 PM, TreednNC said:

If you get a 50/50 rod that casts as well as CTS, I’ll be very surprised. Like I said, I saw Shawn fishing, but didn’t pay attention to the rod. If it was a Black Hole the whole time, then it is impressive, but I can’t say for sure. 

2na makes valid points, whether anyone wants to hear them or not....

We tested 12' Black Hole Cape Cod Surf II heavy at piers in NC and Virginia. Many casters are using custom CTS rods and they are impressed with the light weight, strength/power as well as distance of the Black Hole Surf II heavy.

Edited by ksong