bpalmer

TFO Big Fish 8’ rod????

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I Have the 10'6 gis surf and love it, my brother has the 9' and loves that too. No experience with the big fish rods. They do look and sound nice though.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think maybe these rods were fairly new to the market when this post was originally made so maybe by now somebody has tried one? I'm looking at these rods now and I see they have spinning and casting models, but the pics on both of these show what looks like a trigger. The description says its a comfort grip, but it appears in the pics to be made so that the reel seat faces up??? If thats the case, then its not really a spinning rod, it would be for a conventional reel. I'm going to be chasing muskys in the river here locally and I need a very stout rod, but I'm a spinning reel guy. I never liked the idea of switching hands and reeling with the right and I'm too old of a dog to learn any new tricks. This rod looks like just the ticket but I gotta figure out whats up with that reel seat thing before I order.

https://tforods.com/tfd-big-fish-rods/

Edited by Redneck Tourist
Provided link to mfg webpage

if it has a trigger,it is a casting rod,no question.

also,the spinning rod has an "S" in the model number,the casting has a "C".

it also lists which is which spinning models and casting models.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

5 hours ago, Redneck Tourist said:

I think maybe these rods were fairly new to the market when this post was originally made so maybe by now somebody has tried one? I'm looking at these rods now and I see they have spinning and casting models, but the pics on both of these show what looks like a trigger. The description says its a comfort grip, but it appears in the pics to be made so that the reel seat faces up??? If thats the case, then its not really a spinning rod, it would be for a conventional reel. I'm going to be chasing muskys in the river here locally and I need a very stout rod, but I'm a spinning reel guy. I never liked the idea of switching hands and reeling with the right and I'm too old of a dog to learn any new tricks. This rod looks like just the ticket but I gotta figure out whats up with that reel seat thing before I order.

https://tforods.com/tfd-big-fish-rods/

I picked up one of these last season,they are baad ass!

they also come in 8-1/2 foot too,the model I chose in 9-3 inch and they are telescopic.

https://www.amazon.com/Okuma-****-EVx-C-931XHT-FG-Telescopic/dp/B06XWH6QX2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=okuma+EVX+musky+rod&qid=1568482694&s=gateway&sr=8-3

5d7d27bac9476_HHPlugWerxLDP599.JPG.625ec744d5847d6b4ff0aa25911141d2.JPG

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

44 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

if it has a trigger,it is a casting rod,no question.

also,the spinning rod has an "S" in the model number,the casting has a "C".

it also lists which is which spinning models and casting models.

HH

Yeah I can see the difference in the 2 types in the specifications, but the pic they show is a handle with a trigger or "comfort grip" they're calling it, and that pic is shown with the spinning models. Thats what is confusing me. Maybe they're just using a stock pic and thats the only one they have? Looks like yours is performing well for you there! If I can confirm that the spinning rods are actually that and not something else I'm all over it. 

1 hour ago, Redneck Tourist said:

Yeah I can see the difference in the 2 types in the specifications, but the pic they show is a handle with a trigger or "comfort grip" they're calling it, and that pic is shown with the spinning models. Thats what is confusing me. Maybe they're just using a stock pic and thats the only one they have? Looks like yours is performing well for you there! If I can confirm that the spinning rods are actually that and not something else I'm all over it. 

yes it is doing good,nice rod for the low cost.

what I saw was pic of 2 rods.

one is the casting,one is the spinning.

one is upside down and one is down,the down one is spinning.

regardless,the model number is what matters not the picture.

who knows,maybe the person that did the pictures has no idea what they are doing and may not even fish.

you order the model number you want and that's what you will get.

HH

6 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

yes it is doing good,nice rod for the low cost.

what I saw was pic of 2 rods.

one is the casting,one is the spinning.

one is upside down and one is down,the down one is spinning.

regardless,the model number is what matters not the picture.

who knows,maybe the person that did the pictures has no idea what they are doing and may not even fish.

you order the model number you want and that's what you will get.

HH

I think I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm still not sure how the "comfort grip" works on a spinning rod. Guess I'll find out when it gets here.

35 mins ago, Redneck Tourist said:

I think I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm still not sure how the "comfort grip" works on a spinning rod. Guess I'll find out when it gets here.

you sure will.

it's just a diff style grip,no worry.

HH

so heavy is that comfort grip trigger on your spinning setup...never seen that are you saying you adjusted to it and like it....or are you using a low profile baitcaster as I most likely will plan to do...

I had been searching for a deal on one of these and finally found a comparative good price at Musky Shop website. They had to special order so I did that and while waiting for it to ship I continued looking at other rods online. I found the Predator Musky Spinning Rod at Cabelas and this one really sounded nice! ......so I ordered it too. It was here in 3 days. This rod is 7' 9" 2 pc heavy spinning 3/4 - 3 oz and 15 - 30 lb line. It has heavy duty guides and the handle is a full size with some kinda rubber like grip. Feels like a steering wheel cover in your hand. I paired it up with a Penn Clash 4000 and 20 lb Fireline. Had it out at the river last Friday. Casts great and feels very stout. Only thing I caught was a Smallmouth bass that weighed a few lbs but it seems like it will handle large fish with no problems. Compared to the TFO rod, this Cabelas rod will throw 1 oz heavier, has a full grip handle, ( I am not a big fan of the segmented handles) and it costs $100 less. Anybody who is considering the TFO Big Fish rod should give this thing a look!

Oh and so after about 10 days and heard nothing from the Musky Shop about that rod I called them and cancelled the order.