tj7501

Affordable rod options for Saragosa 8000

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I am thinking of making a couple of canal trips this season and don't want to show up with too light a gear. I've had my eye on Shimano Saragosa 8000 and want to pair it with an affordable ($100-$150) rod, probably 11', 2-piece, versatile enough to handle plugging and jigging. I know it will have its limitations at that price range. Just looking for a starter rod with a backbone that can handle occasional canal trips. I already have a 9' Tsunami and a small army of 7' kayak/boat rods. Thanks for the recommendations.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tsunami Airwave 10ft 3-6oz for plugging and light Jigging. 11ft 4-8 oz for jigging. The Airwave Elite would also be decent but slightly more expensive.

Star Paraflex 2-6oz seems like it could make a great rod

Penn Battalion 11ft 2-6oz

If you choose a slightly higher priced rod than definitely a TFO or Mojo

Edited by Sandbar1

Def not a rod builder/expert.. but wondering if 11' might be a little outsized for the 8000. I might go 10 or 10'6" with that reel. Could be a better fit, as far as distance to stripper guide with line coming off that particular spool.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, rst3 said:

Def not a rod builder/expert.. but wondering if 11' might be a little outsized for the 8000. I might go 10 or 10'6" with that reel. Could be a better fit, as far as distance to stripper guide with line coming off that particular spool.

Not necessarily, I have an 8k Gosa on a Lami 1322-2 (an 11ft rod) and it balances pretty perfectly. I also have an 8k on a TFO 10'6" and that is a balanced setup as well.

If I remember correctly the only difference between the 8k and 10k Gosa is the spool size.

That said a 10k Gosa also balances very well on an 11ft TFO.

I'm not sure if these pairings gain or loose distance or effectiveness due to the reel size, length, guide ration but they work fine for me.

Edited by Sandbar1

I saw the 10' Star Paraflex at M&D's for around $160, a lot of rod for short coin. Lifetime warranty is the cherry on top. 

A second for the Tsunami Airwave 10 foot 3-6.  Its in your price range, can be had for $115 shipped if you shop.  Another thing to note is most of the  rods mentioned are a 70/30 split which may or may not be a transport problem.

20180502_220420.jpg.04d4ba48b8f7625d47254215d4f83551.jpg

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I have a gossa 8k on a century 1327

Seems good for me. 

Welp there you have it. 11ft is a go! Aaannd that's why I'm not a rod builder:)

I have a 11’ tfo 3-8 with a gosa 8k. I tried putting my 10k on it and it felt too big. I love the rod. Seems to do everything I ask it too. Might be worth the few bucks extra if you can stretch your budget a bit.

2 mins ago, Trojan366 said:

I have a 11’ tfo 3-8 with a gosa 8k. I tried putting my 10k on it and it felt too big. I love the rod. Seems to do everything I ask it too. Might be worth the few bucks extra if you can stretch your budget a bit.

Really, I have a 10k gosa on my 11' TFO. I feel it's a good fit (to me). Then again I previously had a Saltist 6500 on that rod. Talk about an overkill beast of a reel.

3 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Really, I have a 10k gosa on my 11' TFO. I feel it's a good fit (to me). Then again I previously had a Saltist 6500 on that rod. Talk about an overkill beast of a reel.

Maybe it’s just what I’m used to. I’m sure if I fished the 10k more I’d say it’s a great fit too haha

3 mins ago, Trojan366 said:

Maybe it’s just what I’m used to. I’m sure if I fished the 10k more I’d say it’s a great fit too haha

It all comes down to personal preference. We often overthink things, if it works for you use it!

My buddy was gunning my gossa 8k out there the other day.

He made some very impressive casts with it on his century 12 rod.

You could hear the line hitting the edge of the reel towards the end of cast.

Not a distance reel.

Still I like this reel for the canal.