Power Pro break offs

Rate this topic

InvokeFifth

On three occasions with 2 different set-ups while casting a lure my line snapped. The guides are perfect and I didn’t notice fraying. I’ve been fishing for 50 years and never had this issue. The only constant was using Power Pro braid. First 2 times it happened was 20lb and this morning 30lb. 

Anyone else can experiencing this issue?

Looks like I’ll be changing the line on my reels. Any suggestions?

Thanks. 

"It's tough to end your fishing trip when catching fish, but it's harder to end it when you're not."

Joe X

Power Pro was known for having bad batches of braid and a lot of mystery breakoffs.  Many people seem to switch to Power Pro super slick, or other brands. There are many great braids out there. I have been using suffix 832 and love it, many guys like J braid.  There are a few threads on the site about braids. Check them out and good luck

Suggestion: Fireline. I, and many others better than me, have used Fireline since it came out, switched to try other lines and returned to Fireline. It doesn't cast as far as some other lines, but it is exceptionally strong and has the best abrasion resistance I've seen. 

I agree with Baldwin.  Fireline is much thicker in diameter than all the braids for the same rating.  Hence, its breaking stength is much higher than rated.  14 lb fireline is like 30 lb braid, 20lb. fireline is like 50lb or greater braid.  30 lb. fireline is like 65lb or greater braid, so keep that in mind when looking at sizing it, both in braking strength and the amount of line you will be able to get on the reel.

It's abrasion resistance is much better.  Perhaps as the stands aren't braided together, they don't trap sand in them to wear and grind.  Also, across rocks, the same scenario, not all strands hit the same sharp points.

It does not cast as well, again, not being braided, it is sloppier and fuzzy to the feel.  It's great stuff, but if casting distance is a premium for you, then you might consider something else.

Suffix 832 is a good durable all around braid that I've had no issues with.

I've had similar issues three times.  Once was when I first started which I chalk up to googanism, one was when I had a slight chip in the top lip of the reel spool, and another happened due to a chip in the top guide.  I would check everything thoroughly before assuming the powerpro is to blame. 

My uncle had the same issue while wreck fishing. I witnessed it first hand we checked every guide thoroughly,the line itself, and the level wind (was using a Calcutta) and nothing significant was noted. Up to that point I was die hard PP. We came to the conclusion the line was just breaking under pressure. Line was breaking in weird spots instead of at the tip or at the knot near the lure it was middle of the line.  I now exclusively use either multi color J-braid or Jerry Brown Spectra. Both are excellent lines and well worth the money. I prefer a very thin but powerful braid so I can pack more onto the reel. 

1 hour ago, sbcbmx112 said:

I've had similar issues three times.  Once was when I first started which I chalk up to googanism, one was when I had a slight chip in the top lip of the reel spool, and another happened due to a chip in the top guide.  I would check everything thoroughly before assuming the powerpro is to blame. 

I am not assuming anything. I’m just stating facts and asking questions. And rest assured that I thoroughly checked all guides and reels before posting. 

"It's tough to end your fishing trip when catching fish, but it's harder to end it when you're not."

Joe X

14 mins ago, InvokeFifth said:

I am not assuming anything. I’m just stating facts and asking questions. And rest assured that I thoroughly checked all guides and reels before posting. 

I didn't mean for that to come off as condescending; just my 2 cents before you spend the money to replace the line.  I have read on this site many times about powerpro mystery break-offs but I found I am usually able to find a cause.

2 hours ago, InvokeFifth said:

On three occasions with 2 different set-ups while casting a lure my line snapped. The guides are perfect and I didn’t notice fraying. I’ve been fishing for 50 years and never had this issue. The only constant was using Power Pro braid. First 2 times it happened was 20lb and this morning 30lb. 

Anyone else can experiencing this issue?

Looks like I’ll be changing the line on my reels. Any suggestions?

Thanks. 

That’s why I stopped using it. Can’t trust it and your line is most important part of your outfit imo. Switched to Original Fireline in 10, 14 and 20 depending on situation. It is excellent and trustworthy most importantly. With that said, I work at a local tackle shop in RI and just about everybody uses Power Pro green or slick. I don’t hear many complaints. 

Never had an issue with PowerPro break offs while casting or otherwise. I have PP regular or super slick on all my reels. Tried J-braid and it's good line but not on my Penn reels where I got endless wind knots when fully spooled. I can spool PP to the lip with no issues on those.

When does the line part? On the back cast or on the throw? There isn't much tension on the line after you release it so a break off then would be unusual without some other factor like cracked guides or wind knots or tip wrap. 

I had an issue with my line wrapping the tip guide on a Star Paraflex rod. I don't even know how it would happened exactly but it was every few casts. When I became aware of it, I cleaned up my casting motion and it doesn't happen any longer. Was just with a particular rod...

I had no end of trouble with Power Pro on my spinning reels.  Mystery breakoffs, wind knots, etc.  Asked about solutions here I on SOL and have changed to Fireline and Fireline Crystal as per advice.  Best move I ever made.  Problems all went away.  I still use Power Pro but only on conventional reels only.

-

I have seen that on and off for years. I never once saw it with 50 just 20 and 30. At least that has been my experience. Also that was with the PP original green not Super Slick. Stealth has been very good to me so I keep with it. PP Super Slick is amazing but I have only used it on one reel. If I am buying a bulk spool it's gonna be Stealth for the foreseeable future.

3 hours ago, sbcbmx112 said:

I didn't mean for that to come off as condescending; just my 2 cents before you spend the money to replace the line.  I have read on this site many times about powerpro mystery break-offs but I found I am usually able to find a cause.

It's crazy.  My immediate thought was that it was me or my tackle.  Never had a problem with PP line while reeling in a lure or a striper; just casting plugs (and expensive ones at that). But as I've stated, in all my years fishing I've never had this issue.

Joe X