Danny pichney jinx

Rate this topic

OnTheFish

Strolling through the forums and saw a WTB by Ted for a Danny Pichney jinx looked very intriguing. What’s the action on this plug? How’s it swim? Would like to reproduce a few does anyone have the specs or drawing for this plug? Or someone that has one be willing to take measurements and pics? I know SP has got a lot documented in his notebook maybe we will get lucky and he will come through. 9F4799CE-ADA7-4C7A-B15B-B227F3223C0D.png.d984f1419c2286f1d2be77f6eca2c8b0.pnghere’s a pic of the plug 

Danny's rendition of the Rinehart Jinx was Danny's predecessor to his Slopehead. The Slopehead was originally "invented" when Danny tried to recycle a damaged Conrad body. The Slopehead does not swim as deep as a Conrad due to it's much wider swimming pattern (when compared to a Conrad) 

Saw what I believed to be Rineharts at the recent SWLCC event.  Can any of you provide more info re SC's comment:  "Danny's rendition of the Rinehart Jinx was Danny's predecessor to his Slopehead..."?

Edited by Southcoastphil

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

On 5/3/2018 at 9:15 PM, Southcoastphil said:

Saw what I believed to be Rineharts at the recent SWLCC event.  Can any of you provide more info re SC's comment:  "Danny's rendition of the Rinehart Jinx was Danny's predecessor to his Slopehead..."?

The Rineharts came in 2 and 3 hook configurations. I think the 2 hook models came with screw eye hook attachments while the 3 hook came with a traditional hook hanger that was held in with 2 small screws. Both styles leaked. They were the first plugs that I am aware of that were "loaded" with Mercury by old timers.

I met Danny in 76 and the Jinx/Slopehead plugs were already being called Slopeheads not Jinx plugs by Danny. I had a friend a few years older and all of his Slopeheads were of the Jinx variety with the lip being screwed to the top of the slope rather than inserted inside of a lip slot. Not sure why/when Danny changed the lip attachment method but I do have my suspicions. Interestingly my friend with the Jinx variety Slopeheads referred to them as Slopeheads although they had Jinx variety lips. Action seemed the same between the two varieties.

7 hours ago, SC said:

The Rineharts came in 2 and 3 hook configurations. I think the 2 hook models came with screw eye hook attachments while the 3 hook came with a traditional hook hanger that was held in with 2 small screws. Both styles leaked. They were the first plugs that I am aware of that were "loaded" with Mercury by old timers.

I met Danny in 76 and the Jinx/Slopehead plugs were already being called Slopeheads not Jinx plugs by Danny. I had a friend a few years older and all of his Slopeheads were of the Jinx variety with the lip being screwed to the top of the slope rather than inserted inside of a lip slot. Not sure why/when Danny changed the lip attachment method but I do have my suspicions. Interestingly my friend with the Jinx variety Slopeheads referred to them as Slopeheads although they had Jinx variety lips. Action seemed the same between the two varieties.

Great info here you say you have your suspicions as to why he changed the lip being screwed in do you think it was just easier and could prob use a lip he already made or what?

23 mins ago, OnTheFish said:

Great info here you say you have your suspicions as to why he changed the lip being screwed in do you think it was just easier and could prob use a lip he already made or what?

I believe the same lips were used although they would have to be compared to be sure. I do not think the lip change had anything to do with the action of the plug as they both seemed the same. I think it may have been done for a totally different reason but it is strictly conjecture so I will keep it as my personal suspicion with no way to confirm such as Danny is no longer with us..