FunkyBunker

May 2018 Fishing Reports

899 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

22 mins ago, MCNJFisher said:

When metal  undergoes plastic deformation (bending) the strength of the metal will increase, however the ductility will decrease meaning it becomes more brittle.  So if you do bend the hook back into place there is a better chance that the hook itself might break off on the next big fish.

That’s what I was thinking. The ductility and deformation and a s**t. Lol WTF.

Edited by Pma531

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MCNJFisher said:

When metal  undergoes plastic deformation (bending) the strength of the metal will increase, however the ductility will decrease meaning it becomes more brittle.  So if you do bend the hook back into place there is a better chance that the hook itself might break off on the next big fish.

Still very strong though, stronger than a split ring. 

I've cut and bent uncounted numbers of hooks and only had one break once, and that was snagged on a rock.

I've had split rings fail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing that this isn't a metallurgy forum, it suffices to say that bent hooks are less reliable.  In layman's terms, less strong.  

 

I've had monster gator days where I've had all three trebles on an SP reduced to a single hook 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is imperative to change the split ring every time you change a hook. It gets compromised very easily from the split ring pliers everytime you open it up. They are cheap and easy and it will save you from having nightmares.. or maybe even driving off the road on the way home cause your busy banging your head against the steering wheel saying it was my fault my hardware failed... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 mins ago, Jerseypride said:

It is imperative to change the split ring every time you change a hook. It gets compromised very easily from the split ring pliers everytime you open it up. They are cheap and easy and it will save you from having nightmares.. or maybe even driving off the road on the way home cause your busy banging your head against the steering wheel saying it was my fault my hardware failed... 

Owner splits arent cheap.   I just squeeze them with a linesman pliers and pray. Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pma531 said:

That’s what I was thinking. The ductility and deformation and a s**t. Lol WTF.

Haha! 

 

eacd67f114561c00e7dccd22c8a99a0c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used the same old split rings no matter how times I changed the hook - I don't think I had one fail on me yet.   Even after battling monster blues and some big bass.

 

+1 on big blues reducing my trebles to a single hook.  Happened frequently, lol.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2018 at 5:00 PM, DragonsLax48 said:

If you have the gear to change on the fly and theres big fish around then change it. I had a night where every fish was 20# with a few big fish mixed in and I didnt realize i had 2 slightly bent trebles. I wish I would have known cuz i missed a lot of big fish. yes the integrity is compromised but Id atleast like to hook the fish.

you had a night where every fish was 20#s with few big fish mixed in?? damn... Kudos to you brother. Last time I had a shift with almost every fish in 20s was a combat fishing in a blitz back in pre strom 2012. John skinner has nothing on you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out back o.c tons of happy bunkers with a small blue here and there. Moved out front o.c  nothing in the dark . I will try again later 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OC out front last night, had dog fish on almost every cast with bait.  Largest one took drag and took line, was a great fight. Then the evil flies descended.  Damn things bit through my cap.  Called it quits and found the mosquitoes on my way to my car.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2018 at 11:41 AM, Sudsy said:

Still very strong though, stronger than a split ring. 

I've cut and bent uncounted numbers of hooks and only had one break once, and that was snagged on a rock.

I've had split rings fail

Buy quality split rings, no problems .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.