May 2018 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, JBreese1 said:

I also saw a new first for me. I was walking out on a shallow bar with the water only a foot or so deep. Besides all the horny horseshoe crabs the bar was alive with sea robins. With every step I took I would see 4 or 5 scatter. Do they mate in the shallows like the horseshoe crabs?

Maybe they were after the horseshoe crab eggs.

Got the skunk out front today 440-615am. S winds muddied up the place and brought the cabbage out early. Spot a little more crowded today, but nobody was doing much. Saw 1 keeper pulled out, 1 short, and a couple of blues to the south of me. Moved north a bit but only found shallower water. Going to be some rain for the next few days so going to be watching the hourly forecasts for any chance to get out. 

730-11pm last night. South Wind was stronger than I expected making it hard to keep contact. Switched over to an SP and started side retrieve with the rod tip low and started to keep the bow out of the line. Ended up with 4. 1 very small fish that grabbed the plug on the sand. It was washing up on shore when he grabbed it. 3 other ones were about 26". The water looked amazing tons of white water and great looking structure  Out front moco

1 hour ago, Ripnowell45 said:

730-11pm last night. South Wind was stronger than I expected making it hard to keep contact. Switched over to an SP and started side retrieve with the rod tip low and started to keep the bow out of the line. Ended up with 4. 1 very small fish that grabbed the plug on the sand. It was washing up on shore when he grabbed it. 3 other ones were about 26". The water looked amazing tons of white water and great looking structure  Out front moco

Did all four come after dark?

Edited by Sheisty

last night was tough... should have gotten there earlier to see what kind of structure I was fishing. Out front OC arrived at dark and a thick fog rolled through and I couldnt even see the outer bar. Reading the water was nearly impossible even with that big swell. Plus a strong south wind to make it even more difficult. Ill be back for redemption

2 hours ago, Ripnowell45 said:

I watched as my plug was at the top of the curl, just as the wave was hitting the beach and saw a small bass swipe at it as the wave broke. Missed the plug, but I'm surprised he didn't beach himself! After all these years fishing, it still amazes me how close these fish will strike right to the edge of the beach. Fun to observe.

12 hours ago, JBreese1 said:

Fished this evening from 6:30 P.M. till 9:00 P.M. Raritan Bay.  Beautiful evening, perfect conditions for this spot. High tide at 7:48 P.M. just around sunset.  It looked like it was going to blow up with bluefish at any time the entire time there. Birds were circling and pecking here and there. There was a massive blitz going on less than a half mile away, but it was a sh*t show, at least 40 guys in a spot that can fish maybe 6 comfortably.  Then as it got dark I switched over to fishing for bass, again, perfect conditions for this spot. I had one bass roll on my plug at the rod tip as I was getting ready to lift it out for another cast. That was it. Skunk for me and everyone else I saw there.

I also saw a new first for me. I was walking out on a shallow bar with the water only a foot or so deep. Besides all the horny horseshoe crabs the bar was alive with sea robins. With every step I took I would see 4 or 5 scatter. Do they mate in the shallows like the horseshoe crabs?

I ran into levari as I was leaving, good to see you again. Hope things turned on after I left. All in all an enjoyable evenings quick fishing trip.

Jim

You did not miss anything other than horseshoe crabs orgy, an awesome night and a strong current...

Edited by levari

Out back last night moco 7:30 -10:30 end oh high tide...it was a high tide.  Hooked what must have been a gator...peeling drag until he self released.  Couple other bumps but could not connect all on bone sp.  bait guys had a good night. Bass and blues

• Sudsy locked this topic