jjdbike

Ground fish jig gear storage idea

9 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

For the few here that still enjoy jigging for Mid-Atlantic & New England Ground fish (i.e. Cod, Pollack & Haddock). Jig and tackle storage & organisation can be challanging. Here is what I do. Works well for me.

Leaders & terminal tackle: I pre-tie plenty of leaders. I keep my pre-tied leaders, top-shots, terminal tackle & teaser stuff in a cabelas tackle binder. The leaders & top-shots go in binder inserts. The terminal tackle go in zip pickets on eaither end. The teasers (i.e. cod flies, Gulp, twist tails etc) go in an outside zip pocket.

Jigs: With the help of a very handy buddy w/ tools, we made this custom jig bucket. All jigs go into tubes around outside. Tools & extra trebles (both dressed & undressed) go in divided compartments in botton. The screw on lid has a spool of line for extra top shos or leaders if needed. There is a padded handle & rings on side to attach to boat to keep from tipping over. Major benifit, keep everything organised, easy visual & access & aviods tangled trebels. Downside, heavy & a bit too tall to slide under most party boat seats.

Sinkers: I have a heavy bag w/ a tie around top to carry sinkers seperatly. They can also be held in bottom of jig buckt, but it makes the bucket very heavy.

I had just rearranged tackle. Usually I have each jig, binder insert & pocket labeled w/ a Brother Labeler.

See pics below.

Hope this is helpful for someone.

Respectfully,

JD

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2597.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

Some more ideas near the bottom of the page in the thread called Bottom Bucket.

20171112_162315.jpg

Posted (edited)

A) Where and how do you store the kitty liter scoop?, Do you plan on scooping poop outta kitty liter while your jigging? Or is that used for a bait clam scoop?

B)Like the PVC tube set up, gotta be a better way, to secure them to the bucket , than with an internal bolted ring. Plug guys use that idea with the rectangle storage containers

C) Gotta come up with something for the center storage for that tackle, too bad they dont make stackable  bucket buddies to fit on the inside, of thise tubes,  how about pint size take out food containers? Looks like they would fit in there. You can segregate and better organize the tackle . Or cut / trim plastic coffee containers ?

D) Like the spool storage idea! Serves dual purpose! How many times you need to tie on a top shot, and drop the spool on the deck?  Then You know what happens? Right? Thats cool even when at home, for tying on a top shot.

Edited by Snaps

when you go out fishing 10 times a year you got plenty of time to think of creative ways to store your bottom fishing stuff. 

41 mins ago, squirlyBringer said:

when you go out fishing 10 times a year you got plenty of time to think of creative ways to store your bottom fishing stuff. 

But if you only go 6 times, well, that is when you achieve true inspiration.

5 hours ago, Slacker said:

But if you only go 6 times, well, that is when you achieve true inspiration.

I achieve ,True inspiration , when on the throne, those ideas  just flow.