Killiefish

New version Daiwa Emcast Surf Spinning rods?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I was at a Fisherman's Marine supply store and saw these on sale for 20% off - 11' MH and 12' MH Daiwa Emcast Surf (new model "A").  The rods are lighter than the originals and the blanks look very different.  Also the guides are nicer and there are more of them.   2 piece. 

So I picked both up for $150 ($70, $80) to use as back-ups.  Have to say I am impressed with the newer lighter blanks and the components (except for the reel seat) appear to be an improvement over the older model Emcast.  The guide layout is decent, but the first collector guide is a bit too low on the blank.  The top part of the handle/grip is a bit too thin for comfort (I have big hands).

The 12' Medium Heavy and 11' Medium Heavy are both marked 3-6oz.  I have the 11' paired with a Daiwa BG 5000, and the 12' paired with the Daiwa Emcast Surf 5500 distance spinning reel.

The reel seat is the new cheaper plastic molded seat Daiwa is starting to use on their budget rods.  It will not accept some larger spinning reel feet. 

I have used some other moderate and budget rods - Tsunami Airwave, Ticas etc - but these are lighter and seem stronger.   Only wish the reel seat were nicer and the collector guide was higher up on the blank.

Time will tell if these hold up but I think they are nice rods - in particular the ferrule fit is very close tolerance and snug.  The blanks look similar to the Shimano Tiralejo blanks but the tips are more flexible.  Decent rods especially for the money, IMO.

Edited by Killiefish
3-6oz not 2-6oz

Have you thrown it yet?

In the past the ratings were a tad generous..

On the verge of pulling the trigger on a few of the ballistic rods and no body has em local....curious if they are a 2-6 canal style broomstic action....or if they will still load 2 farily deep and easily

I'm hoping the actions an ratings of the new rods permiate the lineup.

And it's funny you mention the guide placement......I find it amazing that daiwa has put out so many spectacular blanks.....I love their steez ags rods and have a few and love the proteus sticks......They really have tickled my fancy in terms of their tapers and actions.  Power, weight and senstivity....but...the guide layouts on some rods are sorta wacked out.   They throw nicely but could use some tuning imho

I loved the action of one rod so much rewrapped it..... removed the size 40 collector entirely. started with repositioning the 3rd guide about 8" north and spaced from there....Retained the great action...and cast further and removed weight.

Edited by scoobydoo

Here are some photos of the 11' 3-6 rod.  The guides are Fuji, and the blank has that shimmery, iridescent look that seems like the blank on the Shimano Tiralejo.   I have thrown it with 2, 3 and 4 oz lead and bait and also with a weighted Tsunami popper (~3.5 oz) and the rod did seem a bit stiff with 2 oz.  3-4 oz is no problemo.

A buddy also has the 12' and I've watched him throw it - if anything, it is the better of the two rods.  I haven't used the 12' yet.

First the new rod:

Emcast-1102-MH-FS.jpg

Emcast-1102-MH.jpg

Emcast-Rod-new-version.jpg

Emcast-1102-MH-2-6-0z.jpg

Edited by Killiefish
correction - rod is 3-6oz not 2-6oz

Here are photos of the older version.  Note that, in comparison, the newer version has a thinner diameter blank, less overall weight (although I have not weighed it), and less bulk and weight in the front part of the handle.  The newer Emcast rods have better cosmetics, better guides, but a cheaper reel seat - the reel seat is, however, very functional.

Old-Emcast-Surf.jpg

Old-Emcast-2.jpg

Edited by Killiefish

Length of butt from cap end to middle of reel seat is 23.5" on both the 11' and 12' rods.  Lastly I would say that the guide placement did not affect casting.  In fact I had no wind knots or guide wraps at all casting 20-30lb braid.  So the lowest rung guide seems right sized and placement is seemingly o.k.

Edited by Killiefish

I have the old emcast surf version and like that it’s 50-50 and nice to throw poppers and other plugs in big wave scenarios. Was known to have a shorter butt length, but realize I don’t like that as much. Also, glad to hear they modified the diameter as the handle was a little wide if I recall from my personal usage. Bought it brand new too. One issue I recall is that the top piece twisted when casting most of the time. Seems to be getting better though. The old version reel seat also paired with 706z. 

Thanks!   I think you would find that the ferrule fit is going to be much much better on the newer version.   That is one of the things I noticed right away, as well as the thinner blank and better guides.  BTW I initially thought the guides were Fuji but they may be a close copy of Fuji guides.  There is no "Fuji" stamp on them.  Correction - both rods are rated 3-6oz not 2-6.  I believe that the sweet spot is 3 to 4 oz.   The new series is all 50:50 but the feel is like a one piece because of the nice fit.   The action IMO is spot on for throwing larger pencils and weighted Tsunami poppers.  The newer 11' and 12' rods have 7 (lightweight) guides plus tip guide.  Older ones had only (heavy) 5 guides plus tip.  The additional lighter guides really help the top section of the rod load evenly.

22 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Pictures?

Provided above.

20 hours ago, jeffapeikin said:

Do they still use the short butt?

How short do you mean?  ~24" or so is still slightly short I guess.  It's not much of an issue for me because the top half of the blank is lighter and build seems fairly well balanced.  A slightly heavier reel is o.k. on these rods.  The Emcast 5500 reel weighs in at 29oz (matches the 12'), The Daiwa BG 5000 is 24oz and matches the 11'.  With line on them, the balance point is slightly above the grip - nearly perfect for those who fish pencils and poppers with braid.

20 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Have you thrown it yet?

In the past the ratings were a tad generous..

On the verge of pulling the trigger on a few of the ballistic rods and no body has em local....curious if they are a 2-6 canal style broomstic action....or if they will still load 2 farily deep and easily

I'm hoping the actions an ratings of the new rods permiate the lineup.

And it's funny you mention the guide placement......I find it amazing that daiwa has put out so many spectacular blanks.....I love their steez ags rods and have a few and love the proteus sticks......They really have tickled my fancy in terms of their tapers and actions.  Power, weight and senstivity....but...the guide layouts on some rods are sorta wacked out.   They throw nicely but could use some tuning imho

I loved the action of one rod so much rewrapped it..... removed the size 40 collector entirely. started with repositioning the 3rd guide about 8" north and spaced from there....Retained the great action...and cast further and removed weight.

Sorry Scooby - the rods are both marked 3-6oz not 2-6.  They do load with 2 oz o.k. though.   I wouldn't call them "broomsticks" but withonly 1.5 to 2oz the action is tip focused.  They do bend toward the butt a bit with ~3-3.5 oz.

2 hours ago, Killiefish said:

Sorry Scooby - the rods are both marked 3-6oz not 2-6.  They do load with 2 oz o.k. though.   I wouldn't call them "broomsticks" but withonly 1.5 to 2oz the action is tip focused.  They do bend toward the butt a bit with ~3-3.5 oz.

No worries and thanks for the additional info!  exactly what I wanted to hear!!