Gilbey

The Beekeeping Thread

Rate this topic

475 posts in this topic

Nice looking apiary HellRay! Looks like a southern clime. Where are you located?

I was in my hives last weekend. It looks like I might get some honey to harvest from my hive #1. Hive #2, my split hive is plugging along, lots of brood, but there will be no honey from that hive this year. Hive #3 is my new colony I started from a package this Spring. It's booming, and added a honey super which they have already started to build out. It's amazing what a healthy queen in a strong colony can accomplish! 

Alan 

Did a full inspection of both hives on Saturday. Hive A (started from a local nuc in April) is going gangbusters: they've filled two medium supers with brood and honey. I did the inspection just in time: there was very little room in either box, so I added a third super. I never got this far last year: my hive last year never was as robust as this one. I'm hoping to be able to get some honey from this one.

The second hive, the one that I started from a package, is doing less well. I don't know if it's because it was installed later (I got the package about a month after the nuc), or for some other reason, but they're behind the other hive. I'll keep an eye on them, but they're starting to remind me of the hive I kept last year, which didn't end well.

I can see the merits of keeping two hives, especially for noobs: it is nice to be able to compare the two. With one last year, I had no idea what the hell was going on (I still don't know much, but I'm way ahead of where I was last year). I'm hoping to be able to get the more robust hive to be able to overwinter this year.

I also have noticed that the more active hive has bees that are way more aggressive than the other hive this year, or the hive from last year. I have no idea why, but those little buggers are nasty. One tried to come after me when I was inside the car. I hope this translates into more honey, but we'll see.

The one thing I have to work on is understanding what I see during inspections: I still have basically no clue what I'm looking at. Yes, I look for eggs, and I can tell the difference between brood comb and honey comb (and the difference between worker brood and drone brood), but I have no idea, when I'm pulling the frames out and looking at stuff, whether what's in front of me is a sign that the hive is doing well, or whether it's a sign that the hive has problems. I guess I'll figure that out in time. It's a good thing I didn't know how steep the learning curve is with this bee nonsense, because if I'd known, I'd never have started.

I'm also planning on doing my first mite treatment. After taking a bee class, I'm going to pass on inspecting for mites: the little things are red, and I'm colorblind, so I'm just going to screw it, and do a treatment. I'm going to do the acid that you turn into a gas with a little burner: the guy at my last class said it takes two minutes for each hive, and while you have to do it every five days for like a month, that seems a lot simpler to me than doing the sugar shake thing. I'll treat them in July, and then do another treatment in winter, if they haven't all died by then. There's a lot to learn about this beekeeping stuff.

Nice post Belmo! Glad to hear things are going well :th: .

Yep, there is a lot to learn, and I do know what you mean when you describe looking at frames and not being completely sure if things are good or bad or indifferent :o . But like you I am getting better, and like you I can clearly see the differences between my colonies. 

Mites are no joke. I am going to test for mites after the 4th of July and then treat as needed. I did test back in early Spring and all was well. Look up Varroa Mite EZ Check for easy alcohol wash tests.

Good luck!! Keep the reports coming. 

Alan

The bees in my hot hive stung the dog walker today. :dismay: She was 100 feet away, at least, and one of those little pinheads came up and zapped her. 

I'm going to give them a week or so to calm down, and if that doesn't work, then I'm going to have to requeen the hive, and/or do something more drastic. It's close to houses and people and stuff, and I can't tolerate a hive this aggressive. The very second it becomes a pain in the ass, the bees are gone: I don't mind getting stung, but I ain't going to deal with the fallout of other people getting stung. Screw that. 

Just now, Gilbey said:

Wow, that's crazy! 100 feet away? 

Yep. But after yesterday, they calmed down. I've barely even noticed they were there.

Maybe they could read my mind about killing the queen and putting a new one in. :shrug:

Hmmm.....potential issue brewing. Hive #3 is a new colony from a package this Spring. They are booming. They have just about filled a second deep box with brood and stores. In early June I added a honey super to hopefully get some honey to harvest. Well, yesterday a hive inspection revealed they have done nothing with the honey super, and there are 4-5 swarm cells on the bottom of frames from the upper deep box. Uncharted waters for me, so not sure what to do. I'll be doing some reading tonight. 

IMG_0874.jpg.23243ce9fc9390d8ab8ca5f227c9ce90.jpg

1 min ago, jamesdart said:

Is it too late in the year to start from scratch?

Yes. The nectar flow just stopped. You'll have to wait until next spring.

11 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Hmmm.....potential issue brewing. Hive #3 is a new colony from a package this Spring. They are booming. They have just about filled a second deep box with brood and stores. In early June I added a honey super to hopefully get some honey to harvest. Well, yesterday a hive inspection revealed they have done nothing with the honey super, and there are 4-5 swarm cells on the bottom of frames from the upper deep box. Uncharted waters for me, so not sure what to do. I'll be doing some reading tonight. 

IMG_0874.jpg.23243ce9fc9390d8ab8ca5f227c9ce90.jpg

that's empty, i cant see anything an egg inside from the pic. practice cups.

add extra wax to ur supers or spray with sugar water and feed 1:1 to draw comb.

check to see if there's eggs or wait 3.5-4 days and check again to see if it is capped. 

8 hours ago, jamesdart said:

Is it too late in the year to start from scratch?

depends where you are.

if i were from the cold areas, canada, minnesota, and i want to start right now, i will get a full 10frame instead of a nuc.

wait a week, add a super and feed 1:1 then when 80% is drawn feed 2:1 for wintering.

edit: the super is not for honey for personal consumption, it is for their winter stores so they dont starve.

Edited by HellRaY

On 6/12/2019 at 10:31 AM, Gilbey said:

Nice looking apiary HellRay! Looks like a southern clime. Where are you located?

I was in my hives last weekend. It looks like I might get some honey to harvest from my hive #1. Hive #2, my split hive is plugging along, lots of brood, but there will be no honey from that hive this year. Hive #3 is my new colony I started from a package this Spring. It's booming, and added a honey super which they have already started to build out. It's amazing what a healthy queen in a strong colony can accomplish! 

Alan 

florida

You can’t tell from the pic but the cells have larva. 

I am perplexed. They had room to grow. A friend suggested I go thru the bottom deep to see what’s happening down there. The queen is still

laying. There is a solid worker brood pattern. There are stores. 

He suggested culling the queen cells and checking back in a week to see if they reformed. If they do he says the only other option is to split. I don’t have any boxes left. 

It’s a mystery. But I am learning. 

2 hours ago, Gilbey said:

You can’t tell from the pic but the cells have larva. 

I am perplexed. They had room to grow. A friend suggested I go thru the bottom deep to see what’s happening down there. The queen is still

laying. There is a solid worker brood pattern. There are stores. 

He suggested culling the queen cells and checking back in a week to see if they reformed. If they do he says the only other option is to split. I don’t have any boxes left. 

It’s a mystery. But I am learning. 

if you cull it and the queen is sick or swarms then you are left queenless.

check in 3 days if it is capped, split. do a walkaway. leave the queenless hive in the old location and move the queenright to a new location, put a branch infront of the entrance so the bees reorients and dont go back to the old location. if you're on a dearth, feed both.