Gilbey

The Beekeeping Thread

Rate this topic

176 posts in this topic

I thought this might get more interest in the DIY forum rather than getting lost in the Tavern. Here is a copy and paste from the Tavern thread, and I will update on this one. There seemed to be some interest....

In case anyone is interested I thought I would update my progress. I ordered by two hives (nucs) of bees a couple months ago which will be delivered this coming weekend. Yesterday with some help from my son we assembled and painted the hive boxes (supers) and assembled 40 frames. They are ready to go and will be placed out near my garden and orchard one evening this week. Looking forward to getting into this hobby :th: 

IMG_0703.thumb.JPG.06c829653015e7ab1ac3106b2b1f3939.JPG

Edited by Gilbey

Last night I set up my hives in an area of some fruit trees near my garden. I have 8 or 10 assorted apple and pear trees that are just starting to bloom. Bees arrive on Friday. My assistant and I will acclimate them to their new home that afternoon! 

IMG_0706.thumb.JPG.c7022ceae22fa7a378d12ef7c0f8296b.JPG

A great hobby, but keep it small. My hobby turned into a business in Vermont. I ended up with 24 hives and before long I was taking a hobby and turning it into a part time job.

Good luck beekeeping. Put some bricks on top of each hive. Plant some bee friendly flowers in the area, and lemonbalm, whiteclover, etc. near the hives. Bees wax has many uses. 

Well, Friday was the big "install" where we took the packs of bees and installed them in the hives. All things considered, it went well. The bees come in a shoe box sized framed box which contains a can of sugar water, the bees, and the queen who is in her own little box (with a few attendant bees) within the box. Over the first few days the attendants will eat away the "candy" that seals her box and she will be released into the hive to get to work. Hopefully that has already happened as I type this. 

I got stung once on the finger when I carelessly grabbed the bee box and squished a bee, wasn't her fault. Fortunately I don't react much to bee stings, it's just quick pin prick, a dime sized welt for 5 mins, and then it's gone. 

Here's my son dumping the bees out of the box into the hive. The queen is already attached to one of the frames inside the hive.

IMG_0709.thumb.JPG.bd67de71503d625fc47843aa0604f73a.JPG

We had some nice, warm sunshine on Saturday and the bees were very active. It will take them a while to get used to their surroundings and sort things out. With warm weather predicted for the week I am hoping they get acclimated quickly. The first hive inspection is later this week. 

IMG_0713.JPG.5837f05e51913bd744d63f26e5b011ed.JPG

Nice thread, I am thinking of keeping bees as well...probably next year.

There are a few bee keepers in my neighborhood and they all have a 4 to 5 foot chicken wire fence around the hives to keep out raccoons, skunks and other critters.

11 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Well, Friday was the big "install" where we took the packs of bees and installed them in the hives. All things considered, it went well. The bees come in a shoe box sized framed box which contains a can of sugar water, the bees, and the queen who is in her own little box (with a few attendant bees) within the box. Over the first few days the attendants will eat away the "candy" that seals her box and she will be released into the hive to get to work. Hopefully that has already happened as I type this. 

I got stung once on the finger when I carelessly grabbed the bee box and squished a bee, wasn't her fault. Fortunately I don't react much to bee stings, it's just quick pin prick, a dime sized welt for 5 mins, and then it's gone. 

Here's my son dumping the bees out of the box into the hive. The queen is already attached to one of the frames inside the hive.

IMG_0709.thumb.JPG.bd67de71503d625fc47843aa0604f73a.JPG

We had some nice, warm sunshine on Saturday and the bees were very active. It will take them a while to get used to their surroundings and sort things out. With warm weather predicted for the week I am hoping they get acclimated quickly. The first hive inspection is later this week. 

IMG_0713.JPG.5837f05e51913bd744d63f26e5b011ed.JPG

Got to feed them!

Yup, as to pests I have plans to put a solar electric fence around the hive area. I already own all the components from my old chicken run, so its just a matter of hooking it up. :th: 

And, yup, well spotted on the lack of sugar water. What you can't see is that in each hive there is a frame feeder that is stocked with sugar water right now. I was speaking to an old bee keeper I know just this morning and he says I should have external sugar water as well. I tend to respect my elders, so I will set up a couple external feeders by this weekend. 

Please keep the comments coming. I am totally new at this, and I appreciate the support! :) 

Alan

Not doing anymore and miss it. The old timer is right! I’d feed internally and have a feeder at the entrance. 

When the the weather warms tilt the cover for more ventilation.

Not doing anymore and miss it. The old timer is right! I’d feed internally and have a feeder at the entrance. 

When the the weather warms tilt the cover for more ventilation.

I also use the grill about it three quarter-inch hole front and back underneath the handles for a better ventilation I plug these when I needed to with a wine cork.