Mainiac

Salt ponds question.

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

I used to do well with a gary yamamoto senko hooked on a single small 3/0 live bait hook.  Just cast and reel really slow like your retrieving a needle fish. savage hits.   black was the best color at night.. go figure. 

5 hours ago, Nebe said:

I used to do well with a gary yamamoto senko hooked on a single small 3/0 live bait hook.  Just cast and reel really slow like your retrieving a needle fish. savage hits.   black was the best color at night.. go figure. 

Key words being "used to":witty:

Thanks all for the advice. I'm not looking to slay'em, just to witness a hatch would be enough. I'm a pretty good ,wading flyfisherman looking for new experiences. I've read about your salt ponds and just want to see it with my own eyes.

As to worm hatches in Maine. I've only run into one in forty-five years of fishing our waters. i got schooled by the fish then. Thousands of rising fish and the smallest fly i had was six inches long.

I was just reading through this again and realized my earlier remarks about charter captains could look like a shot at ole cap Castafly given his other thread about a worm workshop. 

I actually didn't notice the other thread.

I wouldn't diss the cap.

Far as I'm concerned, I hope he fills every available date with high tippin' Orvis wearin' Match the Hatch Trout Dudes from Butte Montana. 

3 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I was just reading through this again and realized my earlier remarks about charter captains could look like a shot at ole cap Castafly given his other thread about a worm workshop. 

I actually didn't notice the other thread.

I wouldn't diss the cap.

Far as I'm concerned, I hope he fills every available date with high tippin' Orvis wearin' Match the Hatch Trout Dudes from Butte Montana. 

Mike,

The only time you see me at Ninigret is during the fly fishing segment of the Cinder Worm Workshop that Saturday.

My time there is occupied, stringing fly rods, teaching casting instructions with beginners, getting them started. I have yet to float a line on my own.

I've never taken not one client there, so there is no diss, no self promotion from the program.

The great aspect of the Worm Program with it's many great tiers, and skilled fly fishermen who volunteer is that none of us have a dog in the fight, gain no financial gain whatsoever.

Just pure giving with the satisfaction that we may have help others venture into a new interest.

Our adult students are hardly Orvis chaps.    lol 

Posted (edited) · Report post

First time I hit a worm hatch--not the Ninigret ones but an absolutely giant one--I had gigantic fish all over and didn't catch a single one. Managed to bend out my steelhead hook shrimp fly which was the only thing close to "matching the hatch". How frustating. 

But then I started fishing a different way and using different simple flies on sturday small hooks and any worm hatch was a sure thing!

But I never found the big fish ever again on worms. Shoot...

Edited by Otshawytsha

Posted (edited) · Report post

You fly fish, you'll do just fine.  Tie up some general practitioners orange or red, gold ribbing and you'll do fine.  

One of the members here mentioned a clinic they do specifically for the worm hatches, get a tie list if you cannot attend.   Tie those!  have fun and be safe! 

Edited by ThrowingTimber

Never got the general practitioner to work. Didn't find it a terribly useful fly in general. Just goes to show mileage does vary, as others like that pattern for worms and others. 

I followed something developed during the Clinton Administration by James Carville known as KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid. Tie up a three fly dropper rig a la the classic fly setup originated by the cult surrounding the Striper Moon Movement. Then tie on three small worm flies--two red and one black--on short shank #4 hooks all sinking no floating made of simple dubbed bodies with marabou tails--essentially a wooly bugger without palmered hackle. Flies tied to not be bigger than the naturals in thee water. Cast and retrieve pretty slow-like.   

I personally feel a three fly rig just gives you that much more chance at a hookup than if you are just fishing one fly. 

Fished a worm hatch a few years back in ningret.  Nice fish all around the boat, threw everything and anything till our arms were sore. We had some sand worms and my buddy says f-it I'm going old school, puts on a big red and white bobber a hook and a worm.  The rig hits the water and fish on in about. 5 seconds. We caught fish till we ran out of worms! 

On the subject of big fish at hatches.  Over the years I have found that approximately 3 percent of my catch are from 28-36-inches.  There are variables, such as due to the polar vortex winter of 2014, the schoolies in my area did not arrive until mid-May, followed by the bigger fish a week later, even with the late arrival I still caught 3.  So I usually have an average of 3 larger fish caught per year, not including the ones not landed.  Even so, you might not catch bigger fish during the early May hatches anyway, unless you have landlocks or holdovers around.  More so mid to late May and into June will be the best chance for the bigger fish.  Still, there might be in some situations the big ones are there but not revealing themselves.  Once I had schoolies above a bridge swirling away.  Below the bridge no surface activity, and the unseen big fish were in a deep channel picking off worms quietly underwater when the worms passed overhead in the current.  I dead drifted a subsurface fly and caught two at 36", surprised the heck out of me.  On a fly rod. there is nothing wrong with catching many 25-27-inch fish.  That in itself can lead to some very good outings. 

PICT0092.jpg