Spigola

Hand held VHF?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I was just researching the same thing.  Looks like the Uniden MHS75 got good reviews.  About $85.00.  Look on Amazon.  I only need it for back bay fishing and tired of the bulky mounted VHF and antennae.  Anyone have experience with the Uniden?

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, Spigola said:

Is there any such thing as a decent VHF radio for under or about $100?

I have gone that route twice and been pretty disappointed..... got a standard horizon HX870 Floating Handheld VHF Radio with GPS and DSC....very nice unit for $200. Great price for what you get.

8 hours ago, brentwayne said:

I was just researching the same thing.  Looks like the Uniden MHS75 got good reviews.  About $85.00.  Look on Amazon.  I only need it for back bay fishing and tired of the bulky mounted VHF and antennae.  Anyone have experience with the Uniden?

I have a Uniden Marine handheld radio that I am happy with. It holds a charge decently but you have to remember to charge it so it will work in a situation when you need it. Bringing it on and off the boat to charge it, provides the chance that you could forget it. Anyways, I was also tired of how much room the mounted one took up on my small bay boat.

17 mins ago, Slacker said:

The transmission range on handhelds is not good.  Beyond 3 miles they get sketchy.

Agree.  Don't expect much range with a small antenna.  If you do get one make sure the radio is held upright and keep the antenna as high as possible also keep it a few inches away from you (your body can actually shield the signal).  Sea Tow has a nice radio check channel check their website for the channel they use in your area.

1 hour ago, YakDawg said:

Agree.  Don't expect much range with a small antenna.  If you do get one make sure the radio is held upright and keep the antenna as high as possible also keep it a few inches away from you (your body can actually shield the signal).  Sea Tow has a nice radio check channel check their website for the channel they use in your area.

Its not so much the antenna (well, its that too)...its the fact they are only 5 watts vs 25 watts for a fixed mount.

A few years back my parents (not spring chickens) were out on the Hobie 18 in heavy weather and pitchpoled.  They both went through the cheese grater, and my mother was apparently pretty shook up.  My father as well to an extent, but probably beause of my mother.  So I bought them an iCom handheld to keep in the trampoline pocket.  I have to say that thing takes a constant high pressure saltwater bath when at speed, and has been going strong for years now.

43 mins ago, brentwayne said:

The iCom units look nice and have good ratings (at least the $180-200 units do).  Is there a really big difference between the 5W and 6W radios?

That I don't know.  Its 25% more power....for what you're doing, difference is probably moot

Not a marine radio, so not waterproof and doesn't float (for that, I have the same Uniden and I'm very happy with it).  As a backup or for shore, I use a Baofeng UV5RA Ham Two Way Radio from the big river site that usually costs between $25-30 and comes with a rechargeable battery and charger.  If you're looking for something budget, it's definitely worth checking out.

Not as simple to use as a VHF handheld since you need to know which frequency bands you're looking at, but again for the money it can't be beat.

Bought a cobra vhf, 100 bucks with a mail I rebate for 25.

1,3, or 6 watts, floating, the usual stuff

I havent used more than 1 watt. 6 watts is good if your far off shore. It does what I need it to do just fine. Plenty of settings, memory, and what not. Picked up 2 of them.